Bridge Cameras?

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by wiseowl, Dec 3, 2013.

1. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,650
    Good morning all as you know I am a staunch advocate of Bridge Cameras,and with Hsuh's kind permission I feel that these images are amongst the best that I have personally seen with a Bridge camera and I have seen a few ,I know by my statement that I leave myself open to all kinds of criticism from staunch DSLR advocates :sofa: But hey I can take it:heehee:

Here is Hsuh's Link;)
    http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/posts/749330/

• Like Like x 5
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,957
      Hi Woo, you've started to whet my appetite for a bridge camera :)

Plus I was really impressed by @Kristen's photos at East Ruston (better than mine taken at the same time standing alongside him with my DSLR).

My DSLR gets left at home because of it's size and weight and instead I tend to use my old pocket sized canon Ixus. Then Scrungee mentioned CSCs on the other thread which I've been googling (never heard of them before).

For me I'm not really after the long zoom capability of a bridge camera so the idea of a camera that fits in my pocket and is 'nearly' the same image quality of a DSLR is all I want.

Have you any experience of CSCs? In particular I fancy the look of the Canon EOS M and it seems to get good reviews: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-m/2

I don't want to derail your thread so maybe we could start another for Compact System Cameras if there is enough interest.

• Like Like x 3
      • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +91,650
        Hi JWK no we will keep it on here if that's alright my friend my sons just purchased the Nikon 1 J1 from Argos(half price) when he comes home from work I will get some answer's for you,in the meantime this link should help:) The problem with review sites they are sometimes biased towards certain manufactures ,and if you look through them all they can come to different conclusions;)

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CHEQFjAC&url=http://www.which.co.uk/technology/photography/guides/compact-system-cameras-explained/&ei=1eOhUqKLK4iJ7AbE3oH4CA&usg=AFQjCNEXjHAj5iLkMNFqjjr-0-xdJJBXFw&sig2=QE5riND6sEx_Gxpie9BR5g

• Like Like x 2
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
          Ratings:
          +6,654
          I bought the Panasonic Lumix fz200 earlier this year and its surpassed everything I expected, its fantastic, sure it doesn't have the zoom of the Canon above, mine only has an equivalent of 600mm zoom in 35mm terms (it does have an intelligent digital zoom to take it from 600 to 1200mm if needed but the image quality isn't as good, as up to 600mm) but with 12fps shooting at full resolution and a fixed f stop its brilliant for wildlife shots.....I'm not disappointed in the slightest :)

• Like Like x 3
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
            Ratings:
            +91,650
            Hi Bilbo thank you ,lovely camera my friend this is from a previous post by yours truly;) keep the recommendations coming I just love Bridge Camera's:heehee:

• Like Like x 3
            • JWK

Ratings:
              +48,957
              Thanks Woo, I'll have a good read of that link.

Bilbo, looks like you made a good choice going by the excellent wildlife shots you have posted on here.

• Agree Agree x 3
              • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                +12,668
                That's because you were in the shot that I took, whereas you weren't in the one that you took. That made all the difference to the quality of the photo I reckon :heehee:

Now then, about those 8' tree ferns you promised me ... :)

Can't argue with a Bridge not fitting in your pocket ... but ... I have never minded slinging a camera over my shoulder (provided it isn't heavy and, nowadays, doesn't require an accessories bag of lenses and stuff). But perhaps consider this: my Phone will do for the odd emergency photo (a plant in a garden centre), at other times (BBQ party at a friends, Kids sports day, Walk in the countryside after Sunday lunch) I'm happy to have a camera with me that doesn't fit IN a pocket.

We went on Safari in Africa last year. We did it on the posh a bit, so everyone around me had Nikon's with the White lenses (dunno the difference, except that white ones are more dosh!!). They were changing lenses whilst I was getting the shot of a lifetime ... or making a movie ... and that was my older SX30. The SX50 would have done an even better job (HD movies, and Slow Motion available too)

EDIT: The old SX30 was HD too

Just wanted to sow the seed so you don't throw out baby with bathwater. I use 50x optical magnification rarely, 200x digital even more rarely. However, I used it today. Car stopped at the end of the road, so I took a photo of the driver, from an upstairs window, just-in-case. Eat your heart out fuzzy-photo Crimewatch, mine will be easy for people to recognise :)

Country walk - unusual bird WAY over there? No problem, use the camera as a telescope/spotting-scope.

With a CSC aren't you back to carrying a bag full of lenses?

So nothing like a gardening forum "Ask two gardeners, get 3 opinions" then? :heehee:

The 1200mm Canon HS50 is a whole F-stop slower than the one I had before (which was 400mm I think). So the massive zoom comes at a bit of a compromise.

• Like Like x 4
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • JWK

Ratings:
                  +48,957
                  That was me dropping off the Tree Ferns :)

Seriously thanks kristen, it's all very useful advice.

With my DSLR I have three lenses I lug around but only ever seem to use one, the 18-55mm. Maybe I should swap them around more but I never find it a problem with the pocket camera, just walk a bit closer or stand a bit further back for most of the types of shot I'm trying to take.

My smartphone is brilliant for this, I take a couple of shots of things I see in a shop or Garden Centre - one shot of the item another of the price. Then later in the day when I'm home the photos are there on my PC on my skydrive - it's dead easy to then update my 'wanted' list or find the item cheaper on the net.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                    +12,668
                    Snap!

Are you using Pinterest for your Wants / Mood board? I'm quite taken with it :) (although most of my boards that hold my Wishlists are private ...)

www.pinterest.com/kgardenpins/

• Like Like x 2
                    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                      Ratings:
                      +51,881
                      As I have already proven on here, I know less than zilch about cameras - the one thing I can say with certainty is how amazing it is that the technology has moved on so much in such a relatively short space of time.

I sold quite a few Sony Mavica, particularly the MVC-FD5, and I remember them being cutting edge - 1.44Mb floppy disc taking merely average pictures at best. And I can remember us all thinking that this was just about as good as it gets for taking photos and putting them onto your PC.

Then, a good few years ago, we got a bridge camera - Panasonic DMC-FZ50 (still have it, languishing in a cupboard), and the images from it were simply stunning.

Now, its a Lumix G2 that has pride of place, but no doubt it will be ousted eventually.

• Like Like x 3
                      • JWK

Ratings:
                        +48,957
                        No I haven't used pinterest, maybe I should try it. I'm hooked on OneNote for organising my lists, jotting down notes and taking screen shots and web links:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/onenote/

• Like Like x 2
                        • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                          +12,668
                          Notes and own-photos probably not ideal in Pinterest (although upload your own photos is easy).

However, when travelling the internet I find that the risk that a photo is changed, in future, or the site closes is an annoyance. Pinterest adds a button to your browser toolbar: Click it and the page changes to just be a montage of all the images on the page. Click one, choose one of your Pinterest folders (or provide the name for a new one), add a description (nearest text on the original page is provided as a template, or if you highlight something before clicking the Pinterest button you get that - nice touch!) and Pinterest caches a copy of the image on its server, and stores the original URL too, thus I think (unless Pinterest goes T.U.) the images are safe. Pinterest also tells you who else pinned that exact same image ... so you can then go on long explorations of other people's boards that have same/similar interests. Wasting hours is easy, wasting a lifetime is probably possible even!!!

Storing URLs related to a project is something I haven't really got sorted; I'm still using NOTEPAD but it annoys me that the document is unstructured. Every plant that has ever caught my eye, cut & pastes of every shopping cart I have bought, as well as many that I have generated just as a WishList. Monthly ToDo jobs list - all jumbled up :(

I have toyed with using delicio.us to store URLs, but as I haven't even tried it I have no idea whether it would be a better solution to that problem.

• Like Like x 2
                          • JWK

Ratings:
                            +48,957
                            Hi @fat controller - I have been reading your thread about the macro lens for your G2 and just wondered what your overall opinion is. I'm after a compact camera with HD video - also it needs to take good portrait shots with flash indoors - how does the G2 score on those points?

• Like Like x 1
                            • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                              At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                              Ratings:
                              +51,881
                              @JWK - Mrs C is the camera chief in our house - I don't really do that much photography at all; having said that, whenever I have picked it up it has always managed to make me look quite good :biggrin:

The HD video is spot on in my opinion (the sound might be a tad better from a dedicated video camera, but its certainly not bad), and it's built in flash is one of the best I have seen.

We were delighted with FZ50 when we got it (got to be 5 years or more ago now), however the G2 is far superior (even to my untrained eye).

The only real criticism I have is that some of the on screen menus are not as intuitive as they might be, but then if you know about photography you would almost certainly get on fine with it.

• Like Like x 2
                              • JWK

Ratings:
                                +48,957
                                Thanks FC - that's very useful.

• Like Like x 1
                                • Friendly Friendly x 1