Broken Ankle - tips to make life easier?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Coolsox, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,886
    Sorry to hear about your accident Coolsox. Some years back I broke my leg below the knee and smashed my ankle too. After being pinned together I was in plaster for three months and on crutches for six and wasn't allowed to put my foot on the ground throughout that time.

First thing.... be very careful when walking on wet shiny surfaces when on the crutches, it's lethal as the rubber ends make them slide away from you even though they supposedly have grips on the bottom! Also don't expect people to walk round you, especially in the high street. You'd be amazed at how many inconsiderate people there are. I had people actually stop in front of me who forced me to hobble round them! :gaah:

I was loaned a wheelchair for getting about at home by the hospital which helped a great deal. I could get side on to the sink to wash-up and lug the laundry basket around on my lap. Itching was not a problem for me as my plaster was open fronted (access to the operation site was needed) and held in place by Velcro. If you have a wound then be very careful when scratching.

Anything with long handles will help. It's surprising what you can use barbecue tongs for as well. :heehee:

• Like Like x 2
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Just be VERY careful about trying to itch the wound. Many years ago my father broke his Achilles tendon which had to be operated on to be stitched back together again. He was then in plaster. As the wound healed it itched as we all probably have experience of and he itched the wound with something (don't know what). He managed to dislodge the dressing over the wound and was unaware of the danger this caused. LUCKILY his brother who was a doctor became suspicious of a slight aroma coming from my father's leg and made him go to the hospital earlier than his appointment to have the plaster removed. Upshot was that father had caused the wound to go gangrenous and he was told if he'd left it much longer he might have lost his lower leg!

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • chitting kaz

chitting kaz Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,616
        i have never broken a bone but for years had a balance issue i recommend an over the shoulder bag to help carry things from one room to the other ...keeps you hands free to help with balance, and a high stool in the kitchen so that you can still do things with out weight on your leg

get well soon

• Like Like x 1
        • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
          Ratings:
          +14,126
          Oh dear Coolsox, hope you make a speedy recovery.. :SUNsmile:

• Grannie Annie

Grannie Annie Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,631
          Sorry to hear of your injury Coolsox - the only thing I have every broken was my little toe.
          Get so rest while you can and enjoy being waited on!

• Coolsox

Coolsox Gardener

Insurance Broker
          Ratings:
          +563
          Had my leg checked and cast replaced today. First time ive seen my leg since the accident, I've never seen so much bruising. Then had it re xrayed to check all is ok.

[​IMG]

Now I know where the staples are so I can be careful when scratching!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • nFrost

nFrost Head Gardener

Leachate Treatment Plant Manager
            Ratings:
            +2,908
            When my Mother fractured her foot (using a drum stool to clean the top of a cupboard no less) she used to go up the stairs backwards with her bum step by step. Walking was too painful, you're probably already doing that though.

Get well soon!

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +53,886
            Your operation is similar to the one I had Coolsox, just don't get near any magnets. :heehee: