Brugmansia 2

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Waco, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    daisydee - my seeds from Wlnut were started in the Spring and have flowered all Summer for me. This one however was a cutting and has taken until nearly November to give me a show!

2. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I cant wait, there the most beautifull flowering plant ive seen, when ive seen them in garden centres ive never thought of buying one [​IMG] they looked too exotic, thought theyd need heat or conservetory [​IMG] how wrong am I :rolleyes:

3. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi, guys. Walnut, I planted the seeds you sent me and the ones that germinated are now healthy young plants between 6" and 1' tall. They are only in 3" pots. Would it be safe to transplant them into bigger pots? I'm a bit reluctant to mess about with them 'cause I usually leave Brugs alone during the winter. Then again, they're usually dormant because I cut them back in Autumn. These plants are still growing :confused:

4. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    theyv'e germinated :eek: mine are nowhere to be seen (tut) im not the jealouse type [​IMG]

5. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi, YDD. I planted mine in the Spring. Walnut told me that they can take up to 4 mnths to germinate and one of them did. None germinated before 6 weeks. Have patience, I'm sure they'll be O.K. [​IMG]

6. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    OK im [​IMG] I am jealous..so there [​IMG]

7. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    thanks cajary, youv'e made me so happy [​IMG] its only been 5 or 6 weeks, Phew [​IMG]

8. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Ps im very happy yours germinated [​IMG]

9. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks, Ydd. Actually I'm only saying that which walnut has said. Personally I consider him the "expert" on this and am only too happy to follow his instructions on Brugs and most other things. It's just so exciting when the first leaves come through from seeds. I've grown them from cuttings but it's nothing like the feeling you get when seeds germinate. I hope yours do well [​IMG]

10. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    yes cajary, walnut is the expert, he kindly sent me seeds, and i think i watch them too much (every day) but they are next to the sink :rolleyes: ill be jumping around like a loon when the first leaves come because like you say theres nothing like growing from seed [​IMG] I love it..

11. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Ydd. You might have to leave yours for a little while, I'm not sure that Autumn is the best time to plant them. Hopefully, walnut will pick up on this thread then he can tell me what a twit I am and give us both proper advice :D

12. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I have spares cajary, im just an optamist [​IMG] there in a mini greenhouse thingy, so plenty heat given. They will germinate

13. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Ydd. I admire your bravery. Mine are all in the front room,(South-facing) and will stay there all winter. I protect them with a clothes horse and as much as I love and adore my g-children (and I do!!), no-one goes anywhere near them. ;)
    I think they might need temps of 16C (61F) or above, to germinate. Walnut, we need your help here. You can't still be out on your bike! [​IMG]

14. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Ydd, I've just gone back to the "Bible" for growers and it says that the seeds have to be kept at a temp. of 65-79.F (18-26C). Maybe the airing cupboad? Good luck [​IMG]

15. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    ill try that cajary, because no heating at night, Thinking caps on.. i wont sleep now [​IMG]