Brugmansia 2

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Waco, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    Lovely flowers, walnut, and interesting the different seed pods. Why is it mine doesn't seed? I haven't cut it back yet. :rolleyes:

Also, my Poinsettia has never seeded yet even thought I don't deadhead it but Dendrobium's has ... very odd I think. :confused:

2. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    LoL, do you talk to them nicely? My brugs haven't seeded either. But then they were only planted about six weeks ago and I'm just pleased that 3 have so far germinated. Actually, this is just my cack-handed way of saying 'Thank you Walnut.' [​IMG]

3. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    LoL the Suaveolens type Brugmansia are not self pollinating you would need another plant nearby and either rely on the bees and moths to pollinate or do it your self by taking the pollen off the anthers on one plant and transfering it to the stigma of the other, the seed pods on photos 2 and 3 have been cross pollinated with one another by my fair hand and a soft paint brush, the versi and the suaveolens are two types that will cross, the first picture is of the arborea type and is self pollinating and managed this pod by itself.The Arborea type will only cross with a Sanguinea type brug I have hopefully managed this time will tell.Good start John next year you will be addicted [​IMG]

4. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Great piccies, walnut. Now I Know what the Arborea you sent me will look like next year.
    Sar, I think we'd all like to say a big thank you to walnut. [​IMG]

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Off to an early start, this is B.arborea it has been overwintered in the g/house at min. 10c I drag it outside when the temperature nears the 10c mark,the arborea and sanguineas are the most cold hardy of all the brugs the arborea has a smallish bloom 6-8 inches but in my oppinion the nicest scent.
    [​IMG]

click to enlarge

6. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    [​IMG] Fantastic Walnut, Roll on spring, so i can pot my 3 lovely seedlings up.. maybe (fingers crossed) ill have fantastic brugs like you one day. [​IMG] Dee...

7. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I thought you might like to see the other end of the scale Eric.

This is one of the seeds you sent me before Christmas. Ready to be nursed later in the year.

[​IMG]

So thank you. I have other healthy ones but this is the most advanced.

8. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    well done john.. mine have 4 leaves, but are still tiny, but they will zoom away, i just know it. [​IMG]

9. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Dee. You are not wrong. Mine started in a propagator. I started some just in the living room to compare. They also have only 4 leaves but they are healthy. I think it's just keep them warm and give plenty of light. Walnut may contradict - and he is the expert.

10. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Looking good both of you they will soon romp away they really are easy to grow and very rewarding,I have some German cultivars that should be good this year,I have 2 plants to add to the national collection that I have been growing on over winter if they flower before I send them I will post pictures.

11. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] Wow, beautiful to see so early Walnut.. Maybe I will have to grow some this year.. I do have a Datura plant & that is just waking back up. I now have about 4 leaves on it..!!! Yea..! [​IMG]

12. nathan7

nathan7 Gardener

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +11
    Where could I get seeds for these wonderful plants and do they flower in the same year

13. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Nathan it is possible to get them to flower from seed in the same year a certainty if it's a rooted cutting. YHM

14. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] You know Walnut, I was just going over the post looking at the photo again & I was wondering what you were saying in your post.. Adding them to the National collection.! Does this mean it is a new strain that you have & you will have to get seed from it??? Or is it just a photo thing?? ;) :D

15. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Marley I aquired 2 plants from germany that were not in the national collection so I will pass them on to build up the collection,I also have a couple of garden buddies in america who are waiting for some pollen off one that I obtained in germany so they can breed with it.You cann't move plants and plant material from the states to g b and europe and vice-versa but it is possible to obtain seed and pollen.