Brugmansia 2

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Waco, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] Goodness that is quite something Walnut. I didn't think pollen had a very long active life, so how do you manage that.? I know you cannot move plants around the world, Who is in charge of the National collections. I assume each country has one.. Am I right or miles off...? ;) :D

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    In the uk the worlds leading plant collections group,the National Council for the Conservation of Plants and Gardens (NCCPG)organises plant collections and plant registry throughout the country it oversees some 600 plant collections and registry,The RHS holds plant collections also,the Brugmansia collection is held by a Luigi Valducci in Shrewsbury Shropshire,each country has their own body that do the same thing and hold national collections.Pollen can be stored for months it has to dried properly sealed and can be kept in a fridge different pollens have different viabilty times, its one way of increasing your collection without actually smuggling plants because if a plant has a virus there is negligible risk of transfering viruses through pollen.

3. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] Now that is fascinating stuff Walnut.. Must make your plant growing very interesting. So if you produce a new strain do you get to name it?? Fancy some pollens having a shelf life like that too.. And there I was thinking pollens were only active for a short time.. Well we all live & learn something new every day.. Thanks for that info Walnut. Going off to see what I can see then.... ;) [​IMG]

4. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Fascinating stuff, Walnut. Have you named the X varieties that you were so kind to send to all of us? (The seeds that is)

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Caj and Marley no Caj I have not put a name to the ones you have because I don't know their parentage,the mother plant was a yellow unamed suaveolens purchased off a shopping channel the pollen donor was another suaveolens type off a cutting from a plant growing in a church yard,both were strong growers so I thought they would make a good cross, the fascinating thing is about brugs one seed pod can contain 100+plus seeds each seed can produce a different plant you would need to grow everyone out to pick the best plant, then to establish it as a variety with a name you would need to propogate it by cuttings that's the only way you would spread positively a named cultivar.Last year I purchased 5 seeds from america of a cultivar called Xena the picture of the plant was a deep pink I grew 3 out of the 5 seeds 2 were white one was pale pink one of the plants also had 6 points to the flower instead of the usual 5(quite an attractive trait)because the plants are not self fertile(some brugs are Arborea and Sanguinea types are) Xena would have been crossed with something else hence the results,the fascination is I could have ended up with all the good traits it's a lottery no one can predict,I should have some doubles this year will post when it happens.By the way Caj they can still be named and registered even if the parentage is not known but unless it has star qualities and can be labelled a Keeper I would think the system would be overwhelmed with varieties.

6. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] Now that is fascinating, Basically then it takes a few years then at least before you have established cultivar, if you have to take cuttings & grow them on too. I know seeds can vary, but that really is quite exciting if they can vary that much.. What about the non typical flowers, I suppose they are not what the society wants? Well Walnut I am certainly looking forward to growing some. Who knows what colours we might end up with... ;) [​IMG]

Well I'm a long way off from breeding plants, I just like to grow lovely flowering plants these days! :D Thanks for introducing me to them. I have always admired them, but just never got round to them. They always seemed a bit daunting! :D

7. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I`ve just sown some Brug seeds this evening. Never grwon them before so I have fingers, toes and eyes all crossed. [​IMG]

8. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks, walnut. I don't know how to post pictures on the site. (sorry, Lady, but I am useless) I'll P.M. you some piccies, I do think they need re-potting!! [​IMG]

9. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Marley they are easy,David let me know if you have any problems,Caj are the roots coming out the bottom of the pot if so repot them,they are starting to move a bit now with the lengthening and warmer days.

10. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Originally posted by Daitheplant:

Everything normal then David. [​IMG] :D

11. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    ;) I shall go & sow mine later, so I too will be crossing everything David...... :D Gosh is GC going to turn out some strange peoples..????? [​IMG] :D :D

12. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
  13. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Marley, GC isn`t turning out strange people. It`s strange people being attracted to GC. [​IMG] So, it`s obviously Nathans fault. :D [​IMG]

14. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Sorry John, did you say something? [​IMG] :D [​IMG]

15. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    One of last years cuttings called "Joli" putting out the occasional flower,it will probably end up a darker pink later in the year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

click on photo to enlarge