Brugmansia 2

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Waco, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Well - having been steered here from LOLs garden thread by Nutty - I have to say that all of the enthusiasm here is incredibly infectious for these plants.

I am curious to see if I could grow one - not so much for the blooms (which look beautiful from all your photos) but for the scent which I cannot experience unless I have one here in front of me!

I wonder how successful they would be in my garden - I do have sheltered parts but unfortunately the more sheltered they are from the wind, the less sunny they are too. Also my soil is the type that goes incredibly heavy and compact in the wet and very dry and crumbly in the dry. Probably a pot would be a better idea for me. I don't have a greenhouse, so I'd either have to overwinter as a house plant or let it take its chances with the odd frosts we get down here.

One thing is for certain - I'll be looking out for them from now on - and the other thing this thread has shown....

WALNUT IS THE BRUGMANSIA KING!!!!!

[​IMG]

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
  3. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    :confused:

Sorry Nutty - I'm being thick today - not sure what you mean!

PPS Picture was done in spirit of affection for you, Nuts!! Not meant to be taking the mickey in any way... :o

Hope you didn't take it as such :(

4. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Could it be. You Have Mail ?

5. linzibean

linzibean Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    There is a lovely big Brugmansia at the butterfly house I volunteer at - it has just finished flowering. It is a very plain white compared to some of the lovely varieties on here! Apprently if you sniff the flowers for long enough you can get high and hallucinate, as the whole plant is a hallucinogen.

6. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Just thought you may want to know how the seeds you sent me are going Walnut. 7 Are O.K. and here is a picture of the best.

[​IMG]

7. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    John, there brilliant, ive potted mine on today, there tiny compared to yours, 7 leaves..when i was potting them on i snapped one:mad: now i have 3, is your greenhouse heated?..

8. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    No Dee. Just sheltered now (you've seen the new picnic area) and south facing. I try not to heat because of dormant plants kicking in too soon.

9. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    thanks john, iv'e put them back in the bedroom, i think ill leave them a few days, dont want to shock them. there searching for light so they will have to go in the greenhouse soon...

10. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Cookie no offence taken Walnuts are thick skinned anyway,as Youngdaisy has pointed out You Have Mail posted through the forum so check it out,John they are looking good at the rate they are going they should make flowers this year,Young Daisy have you not considered a heat mat or small tube heater on or under your bench in the greenhouse to keep the pots warm they are low in watts and are economical to run, you don't have to heat the whole greenhouse. Linzi you can't get high off the scent the plants however as you point out they are a known hallucinogen, the chemistry and alkaloid composition of Brugmansias/Datura give them a bad name. The main alkaloids of medicinal value in Datura are members of the tropane class, namely atropine, hyoscyamine, and hyoscine. They are taken by many cultures to gain a high,in the U.S.youngsters use Daturas of the "stramonium" family which grow as weeds along the roadside to get their kicks often with tragic consequences,most plants in the Solanaceae family are poisonous to some degree just don't go smoking them.

11. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Walnut. I nearly replied to that area myself but far better an expert on the plant than a doctor who specializes in a different area.

But I would stress to people that these plants are beautiful. I don't think that any GC member would do anything stupid but don't let your kids do it either. We don't like dead kids.

12. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Walnut, were installing electricity into the garden, once thats done the skys the limit, Thanks a bunch..Dee..

13. linzibean

linzibean Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Goodness, I would never recommend actually trying the plant!! That wasn't my intent when I commented. We have to point out the fact it's poisonous to visitors with toddlers, who have the "eat everything" instinct!

14. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Walnut I never realised how clever you were with brugs. Can I put my name down for some seeds for next year ? I have resisted greenhouses but yours is the temptation of bananaman !!!:D:thumb:

15. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Have bought 4 of the plants from Lidl`s, at £1.49 each you can`t go wrong. Strong, healthy plants. Here`s hoping.:D