Brugmansia 2

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Waco, Jan 8, 2007.

1. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Shame on you LoL did you not have your cuttings bag and knife with you.:rolleyes:

2. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Just an update on my babies. This one, the biggest, has been outside for a few days after re-potting. You are not wrong walnut. They go like the clappers.
    [​IMG]

3. Dover Dave

Dover Dave Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just been going through this thread and wanted to know is it too late now to grow from seed in
    Mid may?

4. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Dover, I don't like sticking my nose in on this 'cause walnut is the Sensei on this. (But he's gone to bed:D)
    I planted the seeds he gave me at this time and they germinated fine.
    Small seedlings by Autumn and looking great now:thumb:

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Your the man Caj,Dave you can plant them any time just be prepared to keep them growing through their first winter min 10-15c with as much light as possible I plant them all year round but have a heated g/house and artificial lights in the winter.

6. Dover Dave

Dover Dave Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. I have started them off.:thumb:

7. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Dover. Just be aware. De-husking them is a finickey job. If, like me, you're a clumsy git. Get the other half to do it:D

8. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    My Lidl bargain is loving it's spot on my kitchen windowsill, though do notice that it's leaves hang down compared to John's pics. Have lost a couple of wee leaves which turned yellow too (though not concerned really, as it is really taking off - grown a good 3"!)

9. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
  10. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
  11. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Looks good JarBax wont be long before it's out of that pot,don't worry if some leaves at the bottom go yellow and fall off it's quite normal,it looks to have been grown from a cutting so it wont be long before you see flower buds.

12. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks walnut!

I am thinking about putting it in a BIG pot, rather than in the ground. The spot that I had earmarked,I am afraid I have filled with car-boot-sale bargains, and everthing's growing like the clappers now!

That's great re the buds! No sign yet - though agree it's from a cutting. How exciting!

Will it be OK in a pot? What special requirements will it have if OK?

13. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    It will be fine in a pot 14-18" the bigger the better some of my bigger ones are in 24" pots but they are on their way to being trees,they use a lot of water so at the height of summer partial shade will be beneficial,feed once a week when growing strongly you will probably need to water once a day.

This one is an Arborea flowering now in my opinion the nicest scent probably the smallest flower but the one most tolerant to cold.

[​IMG]

A few varieties round about.

[​IMG]
    One of my own crosses
    [​IMG]

A suaveolens type in the g/house.

[​IMG]

Angels summertime, it is actually a double there is another flower tucked inside,nice colour but not the best example of a double.

[​IMG]

14. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    You certainly have some nice plants there walnut.

Getting them to flower this early is great:thumb:

15. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Well I went to Wilkco's to get some canes and although I saw a lovely plant I thought 'no not this year' I got as far as the car and Bob said go back and get it if you want.......needless to say I ran back to snap up the plant.

So I'm now the proud owner of a lovely variegated leaf Bruhmansia

[​IMG]

I would have not brought it this year but couldn't resist the leaves and it was the only one with the variegated pattern on so didn't have the choice of picking the 'Best Plant'.

Have I taken too much on too soon?
    I have been told it will survive a good hack in winter to about 1ft and wintering in a cold greenhouse is this true? Hel.xxx.