Brugmansia 2

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Waco, Jan 8, 2007.

1. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    caj - it is a datura (bought from Lidl recently, still not 'up' on these exotics...don't really know the difference as am very green in this department! ;) )

Thankyou walnut. I'll keep to the watering only for a couple of weeks.

2. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Wanut, my Brug has put on another 6ins since I repotted it into a 10in pot and brought it home 2 weeks ago. It has formed a Y and has 2 flower buds, not bad from a march cutting! Looks like it will have to go in a large tub before long. Having never seen the parent plant in flower I don't know what exactly what it is, Candida? Sauveolens?, will hopefully find out soon.
    [​IMG]

3. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Looking good Strongy don't think it's Suaveolens probably Candida stong influence of Aurea genes with the size and shape of the leaves,you will be able to tell better when you see the shape of the flower/fruit, let me know if you want any pollen to try your hand at producing some of your own crosses.
    Jarbax don't be too sure it's a Datura these people tend to print both names on the box to cover themselves if lydl's supplier was the same as Wilkinsons supplier the box was labelled brugmansia (datura) they are in fact brugmansias,I will post some pictures of Datura shortly when they flower.

4. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    That's interesting walnut, though I really don't mind which it turns out, I do love the kind that's in your avatar!

Here are a couple of pics for you to see the 'puckering'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and another showing some kind of damage to a leaf (or two). Wonder if this happened when it fell over?

[​IMG]

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    A bit of scorch on there as well Jarbax,pretty sure it's a brug.

6. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Jar, I'd go along with walnut (well, I'm not gonna argue with him:D) it looks like a Brug.
    Try looking under the leaves that are "folding". You might find some tiny insects on the spine of the leaf that are causing it;)

7. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    From bud to opening up it is difficult to say what colour your brug is as the colour varies as the brug ages,usually the colour is assessed on the third day of opening there is a rather expensive colour chart available from the rhs to use as a comparison.
    This is a blossom on an american cultivar called "taylor dawn"a large blossom some 16" long from the start of the calyx and 12"across the tendrils, in the first photo on day one of opening it's a yellow/white, day 2 the pink as shown through, day 3 this is classed as its true colour the blossom will go darker pink as it ages and deteriorates something to watch out for when looking at a picture in a catalogue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks to a splendid packet that arrived in the mail this morning I am beginning a new adverture: Brugmansia from seed!!

*big grin*

9. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    My first Datura this year,daturas are normally grown as half hardy annuals this one is Datura metel "belle blanche" and is a perrenial,note the flowers on datura point upwards while 99.9% of brugmansias are horizontal or nodding,the flower on this is 8"long tinged with lavender at the edges it has a beautiful sweet scent more so at night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    wow...what a stunner:thumb:

11. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
  12. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
  13. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    A couple of pics of my Brugs, started from seed, recieved from the Lovely Walnut:thumb:

The only surviver from my first sowing in October 07, (I snapped one while repoting) :mad:

[​IMG]

The 2 Smaller one,s were sown in January ish:)

[​IMG]

What do you think Walnut, are they going to make it? :o

14. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Looking ok young daisy they should grow quickly now.:thumb:

15. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Gorgeous plants and flowers walnut - thankyou for them, and the explanations. I too am convinced that what I have is a brugmansia, though the Lidl label only mentioned datura, I am happy as I love he pendulous, tendrilific blooms on the brug! Intestig about the colour change too - going by the packet, mine should be pink -but as they go t the name wrong, I'm open to a surprise!

I'm not sure how mine's doing - leaves still curled (no sign of insect pest caj) and no sign of buds. When should they be appearing?

Am impressed with your 'seedlings' ydd!