Brugmansia 2

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Waco, Jan 8, 2007.

1. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    It will flower soon Jarbax they are taken from cuttings, just keep the feed off for now the leaves will be ok.

2. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers walnut! Certainly got a good watering wit all the rain today! Quite chilly too! Repotted it last weekend into it's biggest pot (bucket sized), but havent fed it since you advised. Will let you know as soon as I see a bud! Wondering if it'll be quite a bit later, with me being further north anyway.

3. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Datura metel Ballerina Purple

[​IMG]

4. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    That's really beautiful, walnut. I had one similar several years ago but I think it was frillier .... t'other half called it my frilly knickers plant. :rolleyes: Haven't seen one here since.

5. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Hi all, mind if I join in. OH bought a 'Brugmansia Datura' from Wilco's about 4 weeks ago. It was in an 8" pot and I've put it into a 15" pot. It was outside in the garden for a few days but the leaves started to turn yellow :eek:. Should I have kept it shaded until the weather settled a bit (it's been very cold). The label says semi shade or full sun. At the moment it's residing in the greenhouse looking a bit sorry for itself. Should I be effecting a 'rescue remedy' or will it sort itself out. Any advice on how to feed a young Brug?
    Worried
    North Wales.

6. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    terrier, walnut is our acknowledged Sensei on these plants but he's gone to bed:). I'm sure he'll be able to answer any questions you have, in the morning:thumb:
    Watch this thread:D

7. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Terrier i'm still around untill about midnight but not allways on this forum,you are probably right about your brug too much sun in the first instant, these plants have been grown inside and take a few weeks to acclimatise keep them out of the sun during the midday period, I would keep it inside just to stabilise it wait untill it grows some new leaves before you think of feeding it,although they are thirsty plants don't let it stand in water it should recover they are very resilient.

8. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks Walnut. Maybe if I bring it into the house and stand it in a light spot for a few weeks, then gradually harden it off into the outside world again. It's got a lot of 'sideshoots' on it (like a tom plant) I presume these will be the replacement leaves for the yellow ones (I hope).

9. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    More problems with mine...

The leaves are losing their greenness, it's fading towards the veins where it's still quite dark green. The new leaves are a bit holey and still curled. Not looking good :(

10. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have some good news from my brugmansias, instead: 2 of my seeds germinated :). Still long way to go before blooming, but they took the first baby step into the world.

11. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Stay with it Jarbax they recover quickly the new leaves will probably be ok when they come through they have a big turnover of leaves.

12. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    OKdokey Walnut, will go and have words with it!

13. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Datura inoxia,another perrenial datura flowers are 6" nice evening scent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    That is lovely, I think the white blooms make a lovely contrast with the bluish foliage.

15. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    I've just read the other thread about polinating Brugs/Datura and I think I'm getting rather confused about these plants. The plant I bought from Wilcos' is labled Brugmansia Datura. I googled Datura and the pics I found of Datura have more spiny leaves. The leaves on mine are more like the ones above.

Some species formerly included in Datura are now classified in the separate genus Brugmansia; this genus differs in being woody, making shrubs or small trees, and in having pendulous flowers. Other related genera include Hyoscyamus and Atropa.

So have I got a Datura or a Brugmansia? Confusing