Brugmansia 2

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Waco, Jan 8, 2007.

1. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Jar, are the affected leaves looking co****r/ thicker that the other leaves with , what looks like, spashes of brown/yellow on them? I'm thinking along the lines of viral infection, if anyone can describe that better.

2. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Sorry about that, I forgot to check the spelling!! That word should read c o a r s er.

3. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Terrier it can be a bit confusing but here we go,as far back as 1753 Linnnaeus classified the first plant found as Datura arborea based on a drawing done in 1714 in 1805 C H Persoon put together all the varieties that grew into small trees into a seperate genus and called them Brugmansias after a natural history professor called Sebald Justin Brugmans.
    In 1892 they were again labelled as a section of Daturas.
    In 1895 after years of research they were classified again as seperate species
    In 1921 a scientific paper lumped them all together again as Datura.
    In 1943 the genus name Brugmansia (angels trumpets ) was used again.
    In1969 lumped together yet again.
    In 1973 TE Lockwood after studying the morphological characteristics of the shrubby varieties indicated they should all be collated into one genus Brugmansia.
    Who knows this may change again its no wonder there is confusion the europeans still tend to use both names (edging there bets) the americans seperate the two as distinct species.
    The main differences are the Brugmansias (angels trumpets) have 7 wild species,
    B.arborea.
    B.aurea.
    B.insignis.
    B.sanguinea.
    B.suaveolens.
    B.versicolour.
    B.vulcanicola.
    many of these species will hybridize the results are very difficult in defining what plant you have,all the species have different shaped leaves the hybrids can take after either parent or be a mixture,each seed pod can hold as many as 250 seeds each seed has the potential to be different,they have woody growth and grow into trees or bushes up to 8mtrs high,live several decades(if you overwinter them correctly) from seed will probably not floer in their first year, flowers are horizontal to pendulous in 99%of cases the fruit has no spines can be long and cucumber shape or round,the seeds have a corky coat.
    Daturas several species and lots of hybrids exist the main species are,
    D.metel.
    D.stramonium.
    D.discolour.
    common hybrids,
    D. inoxia.
    D.wrightii.
    Datura (thorn apple) are herb like woody only at the base,grow to about 1.5mtrs short lived usually grown as an annual will flower straight after the seedling stage, the flowers are allways upright, most of the fruits have spines and look like conkers,the seeds don't have the corky casing the brugs have.
    I will still say yours is a brugmansia Terrier they are from the continent grown from cuttings taken at the back end of last year and grown on through the spring you will probably see the cut stick and the new growth coming out of it a Datura would have had a smooth stem and would be flowering now, it would have been sown as a seed this year, they still insist on using the two names adding to the general confusion about these plants.

4. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Thanx for that, I'm a bit clearer now. Here's a pic of mine.You can see where the lower leaves have dropped after going yellow but the rest of the plant looks happy enough. It looks like a smooth semi woody stem and it has three flowers just opening.

[​IMG]

5. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Terrier, Thats Brilliant, and Flowers, what colour are they? mine are looking great, The larger one of the 3 has really took off this last week, Oooo I hope mine flowers soon..Fingers crossed..Dee..

6. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Wow, Walnut, very interesting post, thanks.

7. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Looking good Terrier don't worry about losing lower leaves my first job every day is to remove fallen leaves and spent blooms,when it opens the third day is the day you will see its definitive colour it is going to be pink although it doesn't look it at the moment (definite brugmansia).:thumb:
    Good luck young daisy hang in there.;)
    My pleasure Ivory.

8. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Walnut, it has grown at least another foot, I will have to repot it as it is getting top heavy.!!
    The smallest one (at work) has a pinkish flower opening, pic tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

9. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    Ain't nothing wrong with top heavy, strongy .... :rolleyes::D

I have finally got mine in the ground and it's doing okay and produced one new flower .... with our give or take 40 degrees at the moment, I think it will need some time, and a lot of water, to settle in properly.

10. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Wow - beautiful plants folks!

Seeing your splendid specimen really brings home just how unhealthy mine is...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thankyou for your ideas cajary - the leaves are indeed co a r s er than the few remaining smooth ones. If it is a virus, is there anything I can do??? (I feel really bad about this - I have tried to look after it - but it looks awful!)

11. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Lol, I don't know what you mean!!:D
    They are certainly greedy plants water and feed wise, mine drop a leaf a day and are going chlorotic on me, must feed the more (like hungry kids they are!):)

Jb if I had cutting material on mine I would try to root some for you but the side shoots haven't go going yet. I still can't get over the fact that mine (Brug) has got that big in 4 months from a cutting.

12. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Jar, it looks like a viral infection to me but I'm sure walnut will tell us for certain. They can be infectected by Tobbacco virus (think nicotiana) and by Tomato mosaic virus (I think:confused:)
    The bible tells us that there's no cure but the plant usually grows through the problem.
    If you grow from seed then you shouldn't have a problem 'cause the disease isn't passed on through the seeds. But if you've got nicotiana or tomatoes in your garden then the possibility is always there, sorry:(

13. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Oh!! My Brug is living in the greenhouse at night with the tomatoe plants, should I get it out of there quick?

14. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Strongy looking good your right a repot is due,look forwards to your pictures,
    LoL (Ain't nothing wrong with top heavy, strongy .... :rolleyes::D) I agree just got to watch you don't blow over.:D
    Jarbax don't give up on that brug i'm not so sure it has a virus what you can try is to repot it in a different compost to what you have already used,these composts being used these days in my oppinion can be of a dubious source and vary greatly, some I used last year had been chemically sterilised you could smell it when you opened the bag it did in fact cause a rash on my hands which has never happend before,if you have used a compost that is dodgy it could give these results.
    Lots of brugs on the continent have viruses sometimes the plants can live with it the leafage can be poor but it doesn't affect the flowers the most common is mosaic virus this produces mottled leaves.
    Caj. is right certain diseases can be spread from tomatoes to brugs because they are in the Solanaceae family as are eggplant, mandrake, deadly nightshade or belladonna, capsicum (paprika, chili pepper), potato, tobacco, and petunia also when brugs are grown from seed viruses are not usually spread.
    I wouldn't worry too much Terrier the viruses are usually spread by poor hygene not cleaning cutting implements washing your hands between handling species or from allowing sap sucking insects (greenfly etc) to inhabit your plants.

15. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Here it s W, it hasn't opened fully, the anthers have not separated yet so no scent.
    Do you know which one it could be?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]