Brugmansia 2

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Waco, Jan 8, 2007.

1. DaveP

DaveP Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    That's very generous of you Walnut, thank you but I'm primarily interested in the yellow form of B. sanguinea. I know it doesn't compare with the yellow hybrids and varieties, but as a garden shrub/small tree the smaller flowers look more in keeping in a mixed planting. Ordinary sanguinea is easy to find and I've had it growing here for several years - often flowering through winter as well. However, it is a trifle 'dull' compared to its all-yellow counterpart and doesn't show up quite as well. I'm not sure whether it comes true from seed, but I may be able to get some from the US later in the year.

BTW This is a very old, grainy pic of one of my favourite Brugs that I could never satisfactorily ID. It was overwintered outside in a large container for quite a few years and had a stout, 6ft clear trunk. The warm, buttery yellow flowers were huge - easily to 14" long, opening pale and deepening with age. The intense fragrance had a strong hint of aniseed, making it very 'sniffable' and often intoxicating. This plant would regularly carry a couple of hundred flowers by late summer and continued well into November each year. For some reason, I only every took a couple of pics and these were of it at 2 years as it was starting into flower .

[​IMG]

2. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    A couple of pics of my Brugs Walnut..:cool:

A closeup of my one survivor from oct 07 sowing;)

[​IMG]

Three together, 2 from my january sowing, catching up :thumb:

[​IMG]

And the last one,(yay i hear you say) The smaller one on the right still needs potting on, I need to go shopping for yet another pot..Excited to see what colour they turn out......Dee...

[​IMG]

3. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Dave a while back on this forum someone went on holiday to the channel isles and one of their pictures was of a yellow sanguinea in full flower so if anyone is going there please take a cuttings bag and help your friends out:D I am at present growing out some crosses I did last year of arborea (small but beautifully formed lovely scent) with "sangre" a sanguinea hybrid hopefully they will be small pink and reasonably hardy.
    That's a nice pink Datura on your picture,
    Young Daisy they are coming on well just watch the wind doesn't do them harm as they get bigger.

4. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    I didn't realise that they were infertile, I've been looking at my brug every day to see if there were any seed pods. :(

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Terrier if you had a couple of plants you can cross pollinate them some of the different species of brugmansia will also cross pollinate producing hybrids, B.arborea,B.x flava,B.sanguinea,B.vulcanicola are self fertile and capable of crossing with one another.

B. aurea,B.x candida,B.insignis,B.suaveolens,B.versicolour are self sterile but capable of crossing with each other but not with the other group above(there are a few cunning tricks to try and make this so which I mentioned in other posts)

6. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Well my baby has only grown a little not as much as I thought it might do but it did have two wonderfully big flower buds on the other day (notice how I wrote DID) Bob moved it to a safer site so the flower heads wouldn't get knocked off by the girls and in the process gently knocked one head off!:eek:

Thankfully there are more coming but I really don't think Bob realised just how delicate these plants are I personally found out after just a week or two after purchasing it as one tiny brush next to it and a branch just snap off!

I will have to remember to take a picture of my little baby but be warned it's only a little'un!Hel.xxx.

7. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Congratulations on your bud Hel!

Mine is still in the compost you suggested i changed Walnut - I'm afraid that our camping trips are taking over every spare moment. Will repot it if it's still looking sickly when return from up North.

it's still holey - and there's no sign of buds atall. Feel like a bad parent! :o

8. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,094
    :) Well done Dee,they look realy healthy,just keep them out of the wind.
    Don't they drink a lot of water?

9. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Roders, Nice to hear a frendly voice :)
    I Check them every day, still no buds, but im confident they wont be long, and yes there thirsty plants, the leaves arent that great, but the flowers have the WOW factor that makes it all worthwhile..Dee..

10. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Brugmansia update.
    Baby brugs grow...

[​IMG]

11. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Coming along fine Ivory:thumb:

12. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Well done Ivory, There looking healthy...(what do i know, haha) ..Dee..

13. Moya

Moya Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the great advice, my brugs are doing a little better now, and I have just found six, yes six flower buds on the largest one!! they are still looking rather chewed, I have been spraying them with a pesticide which seems to be helping. Some of the newer leaves have gone curly, but I read in an earlier post that it's probably due to overfeeding, I have been perhaps a little over generous! however I will leave off feeding for a couple of weeks and see if this helps, if you have any more thoughts I'll be grateful to receive them!
    Regards Moya

14. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Both the Aborea and Sauveleon type I grew from walnuts seeds have now got flower pods on them.:) Bxxxxy wind blew 2 of them over:mad: but they've survived O.K. Walnut, I don't know how to post piccies on the site (sorry Lady:() but I'll P.M. you some piccies when they come out. My old faithful (Frosty Pink, I think,) has been flowering for a couple of weeks and we've had the weather to be able to sit on the patio, in the evenings and enjoy it. I think the "home brew" helps:D

15. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Moya probably the chewed leaves are the result of caterpillars they have been a nuisance this year you need to be vigilant, the wind is also a problem shredding the leaves unless you keep them in a sheltered location.
    Hey Caj you didn't make that home brew from brug leaves did you:D look forwards to your pictures.