Brugmansia 2

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Waco, Jan 8, 2007.

1. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Oh! Sorry Lady, thankyou for posting them, I'll reply to your e-mail later but I'm just on line for a minute 'cause I've just finished work and want a beer and a cuddle. Shame you're in Portugal LoL

2. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    As far as i know caj, Tweaky's a HE..Hehe [​IMG]

3. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi dee. Yeah, I've found the same problem with sheep and goats don't what you've got 'till you catch them. Then it's too late:D

4. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Just a few brugs flowering at the moment.
    This is "xena" it's about 8ft tall and just starting it's 3rd flush of flowers the scent is amazing,it was grown alongside another seed out of the same pod and is supposed to be pink but turned out a creamy colour I have kept it because it has lots of 6 point flowers which are unusual and quite nice,

[​IMG]

A yellow suaveolens (known as a noid parents not known) another strong scent.

[​IMG]

A sanguinea lovely colours but not scented,

[​IMG]

A deep pink called superspot,

[​IMG]

An orange double called langenbuscher gardens this flower snapped off in the wind before it had shown it's true form,more buds following on.

[​IMG]

This is what Xena is supposed to be a pale pink,

[​IMG]

A close up of the flower showing a good recurve on the tendrills'

[​IMG]

5. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Oh Walnut there Gorgeouse, The first one looks like a Tree :cool: I love it.
    Im checking mine every day, Still no sign of a flower, I Know im impatient :)

6. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Spectacular, walnut:thumb:

7. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Look what I got :thumb:

[​IMG]

The slugs are Attacking it tho, picking them off Daily :mad: Ooo I wonder what colour they are :cool:

[​IMG]

The other Two are looking better, but no flowers yet :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    [​IMG]

My very first Brug flower, chuffed to beans. It`s supposed to be a red/yellow bicolour. But you can`t have it all.:D

9. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    David thats gorgeous, [​IMG] I hope mine is that Lovely..

10. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
  11. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Dai, that's great. Soooo pleased for you. :thumb:
    As a first, you're probably better without the Red/Yellow one (Firework), there's no scent:(
    What's the scent like on your one?
    Well done, mate:)

12. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Just realised, that's the first piccie you've posted. Please tell a computer illigetimate old git how you did it, Ta

13. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Well done youg Daisy,the others will get flowers once the main stem has forked.
    David white is the dominant colour in brugs I have many times crossed yellows and pinks and ended up with white,you can also get different coloured plants out of the same seed pod that's what makes it exciting crossing them.

14. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Walnut. Do you think that white is the dominant colour 'cause the Arborea type are the originals?

15. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Caj. there are 7 main species of brugmansia they are roughly divided into 2 groups the 2 groups will not cross with one another.Within the groups there are lots of hybrid crosses,the 2 groups are,
    AThe Brugmansia arborea Group
    --- Brugmansia arborea
    --- Brugmansia sanguinea
    --- Brugmansia vulcanicola
    BThe Brugmansia aurea Group
    --- Brugmansia aurea
    --- Brugmansia insignis
    --- Brugmansia suaveolens
    --- Brugmansia versicolor
    The arborea is a stand alone wild species when crossed with the multicoloured sanguinea produces "flava hybrids" they have usually strong single colours and a tubular shaped flower if these were then crossed back to an arborea the colour would not dominate the white would.I have done this cross and fingers crossed I will retain a bit of the colour of the hybrid parent and end up with a pink arborea this being one of the few self fertile I would then have to reproduce that colour through several generations of seed to then proclaim a new "pink" arborea I should know shortly if it's worked as my plants have buds.
    Back to the question I do ramble sometimes Davids brugmansia belongs to the second group B and can have any of the 4 in its make maybe even some all of them Brugmansia do not 'come true' from seeds, for a lot of reasons involving things like the number of gene alleles, recombination, etc. The bottom line is that around 97% of the time, baby Brugmansia’s do not look a thing like their mama, so you have little idea what any given seed will produce. And the dominant color is white, so better than half the time that's what you'll get. Not trying to discourage growing Brugmansia from seeds here; just wanting to save some of the disappointment.