Brugmansia 2

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Waco, Jan 8, 2007.

1. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Waco the double orange Langenbuscher garten is not self fertile so will not set seed, you can only propagate it by cuttings.
    B/man those covers are made different sizes the biggest I have is about 3ft diameter the smallest about 1ft each one will then fit inside the other to take up less room when storing they are packed with straw to keep the frost out and to allow the plant to breathe.

2. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I suspected this walnut, I have tow good cuttings. I cam considering just taking cuttings and letting parent plant die every year as this year the flowers were quite stunted because I could not physically handel increasing pot size to give it fresh soil. I also seem much more able to establish a good shape on a cutting, so this may be a way forward for me.

I will definately try what BM has done though.

3. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    d-yyd-yyd-yyMy first ever brugmansia has a FLOWER!!!d-yyd-yyd-yy

4. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    JarBax we must insist on a picture or are you just going to tease,

This is a good idea I found that seeds planted last October and grown on through winter have made 8ft tall plants that have flowered this year so cuttings would be no problem ,if you can manage 10c through winter the cuttings will carry on growing.

Some of the large plants that I want to remain standards and get of to a flying start next year I have taken them out of their large pots chopped the roots until they fit in to 10-12"pots,cut most of the branching above the "y" it makes them easy to store them, they will go into the shed into hibernation watered very sparingly kept just above freezing brought back to life next spring.

5. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Walnut. When you say "shed", do you mean a dark shed? Like no light at all? I tried over-wintering one in a dark garage and it died!

6. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I will try my best for a piccy tomorrow! I am so thrilled, you may remember that it's not grown into the healthiest of specimens - the leaves are holey and warped, but it has produced a flower!!!

I am SO bogged under with my teacher training course that time is an absolute premium, but I will do my best! If I remember from the info on here, day three will be the day of it's true colour? That will be tomorrow...

7. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Way to go Jarbax.
    Caj. I took part of my shed roof off this year and fitted clear corrugated plastic but that was so I could keep other plants in not for the benefit of the brugs.they should be ok in the dark they go into hibernation, they have a very short growing season in some parts of Canada and their brugs can be 5 months in a cellar: ensure they are frost free,keep them virtually dry they should be ok,you could always take some cuttings off them now and keep them on the cill indoors.

8. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks, walnut:thumb: I've got a few of the Pink variety so I'll put one in the garage and try again. I'm going to leave the one that is in a pot outside where it is and try to protect it over the winter. Gonna be interesting to see how they get on. The ones I grew from seed are going in the greenhouse! Not taking any chances with those:)

9. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    not so far off topic, but after speaking to LoL today, I mentioned that I lost my double white/cream Datura, which I am sure came from her from someone else - a hasard of sailing in May and leaving seadlings to the house sitters! the Lilac datura on black stems is just starting to flower - I know its late, but at least I should be able to get some seed from it for next year, but here is the question -

anyone know where the original seed for double cream/white one came from? Walnut, I actually suspect it was not you though you are extremely generous with your seeds. I would love some for next year, anyone got any please??? should Daturas have a seperate thread or do they have one that I have missed?

10. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hmm!:scratch: Personally, I don't think that Dats need a separate thread. If you're interested in Brugs, you're probably interested in Dats. I want to have a go at them myself, now that the g-children are a litle older. That's an unsubtle hint about seeds:wink:

11. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Caj I sent 3 sorts to Little Miss Road Rage in the seed bank there are some brug seeds there see the list on the thread ,contact Little Miss for the price of postage,if she has run out contact me,one of the seeds is an annual Dat two of them can be grownas perennials,there are some pictures of them on this thread somewhere .:thumb:
    I have no double cream Waco.:(

12. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    :thumb: Look at this Beauty, I was hoping to get a yellow One. :luv: I planted the seed one year ago this month, recieved from Walnut :rocksn Theres still more flowers to come, but Im too excited to wait for them to flower, so took loads of pics this morning, heres 2 for now..

View attachment 175

The flowers are huge.:luv:

View attachment 176

The second brug which i sowed in january is about to flower, so watch this space :thumb:

13. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    :thumb: YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS :thumb:

Well done Young Daisy well worth the wait
    :cl-p: :okies: :cl-p:

14. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Deffinatly well worth the wait Walnut, Thankyou so much for introducing me to Brugmansia's. The January Sowing wont be long :thumb: I wonder what colour it is :cnfs:
    and of course the one i snapped :mad: i wont know untill next year, but its still growing:cool: Amazing :yez:

PS, the yellow is deeper than you see in my Pic, My Camera just doesen't see what I see :( A new One for xmas I think :wink:

The January Sowing, Watch This Space :thmb:

View attachment 177

15. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,097
    :) Oh Dee, I am so pleased for you they realy are a beautiful colour......
    Your very own big babies............Arn't plants wonderful things :)