Brugmansia 2

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Waco, Jan 8, 2007.

1. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Cuttings and seedlings growing in light box,

[​IMG]

More cuttings in a bucket,

[​IMG]

2. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
  3. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Walnut I just wanted to update you on my progress. The first lot of cuttings I sadly 'lost' all but one but that one is doing really well and now has 4 inch roots! I'm really very chuffed with it!:D

I did take more cuttings although wasn't brave to really hack down my parent plant and I'm looking after these guys better than I did the first lot, they are just about ready to burst from the little white spots and grow some roots.:yho:

I also followed your instructions regarding the waxing of the branches where the centres of some of the cut areas developed lost of middle (for want of a better word) and doing so tidied up the cuttings no end.

Next year I'll be looking for some more plants to hack to death next winter as I'm pretty sure from seed I'll struggle to grow these plants!:doh:

So many thanks Walnut for all your help and advice on these truly stunning plants.:luv:Hel.xxx.

4. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Your welcome Helen,they are easy from seed and well worth trying.

5. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Its kind of confusing having two threads going now so I thought I better post on the older thread after all this is the one with more information of these wonderful plants and that's what us newbies need plenty of info to spur us on.:hehe:

Another question for the Brug-Master (Walnut) We are not worthy :ntwrth::lollol:

Walnut my second lot of cuttings are doing quite well and so far (unlike the first lot) I haven't lost one.

My question is on these second lot of cuttings although they have those 'nubies' on them they have yet to grow the roots but the cuttings are growing new leafs should I leave them on or remove them to allow all the energy to go into making roots rather than leafs? Thanx in advance Hel.xxx.

6. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Is this the old thread back ?

7. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    It does indeed seem so Dee.:yho::thmb:Hel.xxx.

8. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Helen asked,
    Don't worry about the leaves Helen,keep the water clean because they can be in the water a long time developing roots in winter, they can rot at the ends if this happens you can cut them back cleanly and start them again,winter is a difficult time to root them and don't be too disappointed if they do fail I do mine in the light box I made so the temperature is 20c and the suplementary lighting enables them to grow as they would in summer,in the water I have a fishtank air stone to keep the water fresh this helps them root better. All those cuttings I have in the bucket have been potted on and are doing well some even have flower buds the problem I have is head space they are growing tall and I have to move them outside the lightbox, this means the g/house temperature has to be high enough for them to survive at present I am keeping the minimum temperature at 7c (it was 10c last year) and they are ok I wouldn't like to go any lower,(looking forwards to those bills not).

9. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Walnut I have to admit some of the first lot of cuttings did go a little rotten at their bases but I threw them out as I didn't realise they could have been saved just by chopping off the soft part! This second lot are being well looked after and although they appear slower than the first lot to root they are all looking good. Thanx for all your help Walnut and having the patience of a saint with such a newbie as me!Hel.xxx.

10. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    You're welcome Helen,as they say in asda happy to help.:thumb:

11. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Yeah. A big thankyou from me for whoever sorted it out:gnthb:

12. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Here you go Young Daisy,a couple of those buds on the cuttings have opened up colour is not up to summer flowering standard but they do have some scent,not bad for January.

Superspot nearly white when just opening.

[​IMG]

3 days on showing some colour

[​IMG]

All these cuttings were taken in October

[​IMG]

13. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    WoW walnut, they flowered, Amazing, and all i have to look at are bare, hope they survived "Twigs".. Gorgeous Colour on day 3, to be able to walk into your Ghouse in January and not only have Flowers but Scent Too.. Magic... :)

Iv'e just started some Datura seeds off, all the way fron North Carolina :) easier than Brugmansia, Alledgedly :D There Purple, so Fingers crossed..

14. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    O.K. Fellow Brugmaniacs. How did we get on over the winter?:)

The one I put in the garage, Dead. That's the 2nd time I've tried it ( the 1st was from the ABAD's site. ):mad:
    The one in the ground, covered in straw and a bell-cloche, Dead.:(

The ones in a heated(parrafin heater) plastic g/house, Dead.:(

The ones in the back-room ( South-facing) just perking up having looked very unhappy. (I'm sure it's something to do with light levels 'though walnut :ntwrth: will probably tell me different.)

Next Winter they all go in the new (heated) g/house. Guess I'll be looking for some more seeds this year.
    Maybe -14 is just too much for them.
    I hope everyone else had better luck:)

15. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Caj,it has been a bad year quite a few I have tried to overwinter outside seem to have failed even though well covered however quite a surprise yesterday one of the big pots outside that has an Arborea in it had about eight seedlings growing on top of the compost thats despite the bad winter and a frost just the other night,the seeds must have fell there last autumn,I have potted six up and left a couple to see if they survive and go full term if this is the case here is one that can be left out to self perpetuate.All my stuff in the g/house is thriving seedlings going in all the time ,last years cuttings (fall back for the ones left out) are throwing the odd flower out,some of the 6ft ones that were semi dormant are now leafing up and have been moved into the p/tunnel under a watchful eye for late frosts if frost is forecast they get well wrapped with fleece overnight,most have daily outings weather permitting but need to be careful of strong winds on new growth.I have some Arborea seeds and some yellow/pink Suaveolens crosses drop me your addy if you are interested I have your addy somewhere but cann't put my finger on it.