Brugmansia 2

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Waco, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Well, I put my big Bruggie out on the patio about a month ago(well - hubby did as its so heavy!!) - since then it had everything thrown at it - rain, hail, thunder, wind, wind and yet more wind, so I'm not surprised it is simply just hanging in there by the seat of its pants. No sign of any flowers yet, but once the sun comes............

2. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    My cuttings from last year have taken a real pounding from the weather. The 3yr. old plant has done O.K. It's been flowering for about 2 weeks now. It's a pink Sauveleons, so I gather from walnut.

3. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Yes LoL I think you are right, I knew you would know what they were. I am surprised about the colour you have picked, I thought you would go for the orange.

I am pretty sure both canna's are still alive, one is beginning to start a leaf, so fingers crossed, if I manage to get them going I will send you a rhyzome at the end of the season.

I am going to attempt a standard from the very leggy bruggie, it just looks made for the treatment.

walnut - I have been trying to email you but had some problems, but hopefully I have got a message to you now.

4. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,157
    What, Waco, me go for the common wild one in my garden ????? I can look at one over the stone wall (would have had to climb over the wall to have taken a pic of it for you) hence a pic of mine. My hedge has three hybrids in it, pink/yellow/white, white/yellow and yellow so they intermingle.

My leggy Bruggie is having a rest now having outdone itself in blooms last month.

Would love that. [​IMG] It appears my peach one is seeding so I'm now waiting to see if the yellow one does but I'm not hopeful there.

5. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Oh I don't think you can beat a bit of the common stuff! Its the dwarf things I can't stand.

6. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,157
    Common can be very nice at time, my diminutive one. However, I have this dwarfed, deformed BoP, who doesn't improve with age, so you certainly wouldn't like it! :rolleyes:

7. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    may be an aquired taste then?

8. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks Waco message received ok will reply shorly.

9. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Walnut, of the 8 flowers I pollinated with the pollen you sent me, three have pods growing.

10. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Great stuff Rich, pods should take 4-6 months to mature, you can either plant them then if you can keep a minimum temp of 50f over winter, or ensure they are properly dry keep them in a sealed container in the fridge and start them early next spring.

11. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks very much for your help.

Incidently, the plant is now full of buds again and has reached the 7 foot high ceiling. I don't want to move it outside for fear of losing the buds and pods.

12. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    If you move it Rich do it gradually not full sun staight away(if we get any)all mine have been out a couple of months now I did bring some in due to all the rain and water logging in the pots, you can't control the feeding when they are water logged.

13. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Don't want to start the Datura / Brugmansia argument again, just want to post a picture of my Datura.

[​IMG]

14. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Thats a nice one Waco, its been a bad year weather wise for them the upturned flowers hold the water and cause rot I have kept a few inside in pots but to be at their best they need sun.

15. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    We've not had much rain compared to other places, it's a good year for them here both inside and out.