Brugmansia cuttings

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by PeterS, Oct 18, 2012.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +93,107
    Sanguinea is often available at garden centres in early spring in those cutting collections you see available, plumbago, citrus etc.

2. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,011
    Yes seen it before , but they are sold at £9 pound each , for a small cutting
    to be honest , I just start to appriciate the brugmansia last year , it`s an amazing plant ....a must have ..
    would love to try the sangunea or the vulcanic .

3. davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
    +257
    Hi Pete
    I have encountered a few of these growths over the past couple of years .
    I think possibly they are some type of root galls.I have ditched the few I had ,just in case I may spread it to others ..and I think if this is on a special plant,I would take some stem cuttings and then ditch the old plant.
    I have had very good success with large stem cuttings this year so far .
    Dave

• Like Like x 1
    • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,016
      Sal - one of the things I really like about Brugs is that, although you think of them as exotic and from warm countries, even the warm group seem to do pretty well in our cold climate.

There are a lot of other exotic plants that won't flower if its not warm enough, or will only flower in a greenhouse.

They can be prolific flowerers. I bought several into my house. I have a yellow one that is under a very low level light (600 lux - as compared with my light-box at 10,000 lux) and a low temperature, and it has produced several flower bids since its been inside.

• sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,011
      I got one cutting last year , I`ve never liked before ...but last summer while all the other exotics failed to flower , the brugmansia seams simple that didn`t care and my small cutting was flowering twice , still in flower at the moment in the greenhouse .

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,669
      I think I mentioned this before, but when I was at East Ruston Old Vicarage this year I spoke to Alan Grey and he said he didn't rate any of the various varieties of Brug that he had tried, and people pressed on him every year with promises of "Best you will have ever seen ..."

He said, to him, all the fancy ones bloom late, finish early, make mediocre growth, need lots of pampering. That's fine if that's your hobby :) but for him the plain yellow ones he grows are effortless by comparison, bloom all season long - and I can confirm that, every time I've been there, any time in the season, his Yellow brugs have been covered in bloom. (I wish I had thought to ask him what variety they are, they are a nice golden colour). We were in his new Jubilee walled garden at the time, so nicely sheltered and warm, and there were a couple of anaemic specimens there which are the ones I was asking about. I have several poncy looking varieties - and mine look just like his did! whereas the ones I have grown from see are huge, vigorous, and easy - but they are a very boring colour.

I don't have time to mollycoddle mine, so I'm going to follow Alan's advice :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +93,107
        Hi Dave, good to hear from you.
        The larger plant in question is actually a cutting which you sent me last year.(Grand Marnier)
        The cutting that is showing similar tendancies is from a plant I already had before last year.

I should add that the cutting of "Maya Variegata" which you sent me has grown normally and flowered quite well right through the summer.

Do you consider it to be a problem or can the plants grow normally otherwise?
        As since bringing it inside the plant appears to be growing normally apart from the strange growths around the root area.

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +23,099
        Not sure how relevant this is, but Datura wrightii is tuberous and looked rather like that when I repotted the tuber this year. Just a thought..............

Sanguinea is reckoned to be a bit of a booger to root cuttings from.
        Mine is still outdoors in a sheltered spot. Did well for me this year, but I was lucky enough to get a lousy summer. Certainly did well in a shady spot.

Fresh seed here

• davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
        +257
        Hi Pete
        I have had plants with this tumour type growths that seem to grow on without any problem .I have just ditched the affected plants because I have plenty .
        I have had a look around on the net and not really found any answers.
        Maybe I am just being to cautious.
        I have cut down on my Brugs as they were taking to much room .and I have many other things on the go at the moment

Dave

• Like Like x 1
        • pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +93,107
          I know what you mean about brugs taking up too much room Dave.
          I'm thinking maybe this time next year I will give them up, unless I get something better this summer.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,669
          I'm sure I've read someone saying that on here before - might even have been you? !!

• Like Like x 1
          • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Thanks to @pete I have 3 healthy looking Grand Marnier cuttings:thumbsup: Unfortunately I've lost the 3 Maya Variegata I let them get too wet (numpty):doh:...
            I've got my propagators rigged up in the GH set at 12 degrees is that too cold?

• pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +93,107
            @Lolimac , I'd say 12C is way too cold, I'd go for at least 20C.

But I've learnt, from others, that its best to leave them in water until they show white spots on the stems, (lenticels), then pot up in compost in warmth, on a window sill perhaps at this time of year.
            Its probably a bit late now for cuttings with out perfect propagating conditions, but worth a try.
            http://ibrugs.com/Resources/RootingBrugmansia.aspx

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Blimey I got that wrong then Pete:doh: just cranked the heat up:phew:...I planted them straight in compost:rolleyespink: all the leaves fell off but now they've sprouted new ones and look pretty good:blue thumb:I can see I'm going to have fun keeping them going but I'm going to give it a good try:paladin:

• Like Like x 1
            • pete

Retired
              Ratings:
              +93,107
              Maybe I could send you a few replacements in spring if I have them, or you need them.

• Like Like x 1