brugmansia

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by GeorgeBean, May 9, 2010.

1. davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
    +257
    Love these photos ,my kind of plants ..will read this more tonight .I just popped on for a few mins before shopping ..

Dave

2. davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
    +257
    Love these photos .. Did you grow the Adenium from seed or buy young plants ...?
    I have recently aqiured a number of seeds but not sown them yet ..Never tried them before so will be interesting ...
    I also have a young lochroma but not flowered as yet . Do these need to fork like the Brugs? I also have a variagated leafed Brug which always do well never get any trouble with Red spider on them but do on some of my others...

Dave

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Lovetogarden. I do like your pictures of Iochroma. Which one do you like best? And do you feed and water them a lot, like Brugs? I am currently growing some Iochroma from seed and don't know what to expect.

4. lovetogarden

lovetogarden Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Dave, these are bought from a local store and I like so much that start buying it from e-bay-here's some seedling I have and hoping to bloom next year[​IMG]
    I have more seeds to plant next year too.

Peter, I treat lochs same as I do with brugs, fertilizers and soil mixture are the same.

Thanks for a kind words.

5. lovetogarden

lovetogarden Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Peter, I like all of them- well I like all plants that reward me with blooms:lol: . I only wish lochroma blooms is fragrant like most brugs.

6. davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
    +257
    They look healthy plants .Adeniums not so easy to obtain in UK and quite expensive ...I have seen some on ebay. I will get my seeds in in the New Year.So many things I'd love to try ,so hoping now I've just retired I can forefil my wishes.
    Can I ask what compost mix you use on your brugs ??

Dave

7. lovetogarden

lovetogarden Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I use same potting medium that I use on my brugs. Desert rose are not picky they just need well drain soil, they don't like sitting on water at all- they will rot quick.

8. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Dave I have grown Adeniums from seed and found then to be a bit variable, some flowering in a couple of years others not flowered yet at 4yrs old.
    Also some flower a lot more freely than others.

As you say they seem to be difficult to obtain here, if you want named varieties.

Imports seem the best option, but not sure the customs like it with out the proper paperwork.

I think you just take a gamble.

9. lovetogarden

lovetogarden Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I buy my desert rose seeds on e-bay sellers too . The sellers are usually from Thailand or Singapore, and they all charge "phyto certificate" added into shipping fees. It is much cheaper to buy multiple variety on seeds with all those extra fees they add.

10. davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
    +257
    Yes I have bought some seeds of Adenium and Plumeria from Thailand a while back.Did you have good germination with your Adeniums ? Do you also grow Plumerias ?
    Think I may invest in some lights...

Dave

11. lovetogarden

lovetogarden Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have very good germination on desert rose seeds that I was giving them away for postage here. I have about 13 plumeria in a pot for 4 years never did blooms so I left them outside right now. I am too old of dragging them in and out and never bloom. We'll see who come back next year.

12. davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
    +257
    My friend sent for 3 Plumerias couple of years ago. and although they grow well no flowers as yet ..Maybe I will give them a miss . I really like the look of the Adeniums ...
    Anything else you grow you think I may like to try ?

Dave

13. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Not sure you need paperwork for seeds,(might be wrong) its plant material, ie cuttings that they get steamed up about.
    After growing plumerias and adeniums from seed I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that for really good flowering plants you might be better buying cuttings or small rooted plants.

14. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I think the USA is very fussy about importing seeds. I think you do need a phytosanitary certificate to import into the USA, Hawaii and Australia. I think you also need a state certificate to ship seeds from one state to another in America. The rest of the world doesn't seem to worry much about seeds - though live plants are a different matter.

15. lovetogarden

lovetogarden Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Every order I made through internet comes with a certificate. I also receive and sent seeds in a regular envelope- not the bubble padded one that other gardeners shares or we do trades of seeds I have,no problem getting it.

If you google adenium seeds every single seller requires for buyers to pay for the certificate, other wise they are not responsible for your order being confiscated by custom. It will be hard for the buyers to get re-placement if your order would get lost.