brugmansia

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by GeorgeBean, May 9, 2010.

1. waqas

waqas Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Haha Victoria, yes the weather is the weather in the UK, can be as poor as we did in the Eurovision contest last night!!!

I will go and buy a pot today or tomorrow. I have found that if I dont water this every other day, the leaves all start to drop and a rapid pace at that, but a glass of water and happy they get.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    waqas, introduce it to outdoor life very slowly, the leaves will be very soft and not used to outdoor conditions.
    I'd keep it in the same pot until its hardened off.

Yopu need to put it out for the daylight hours and bring it back in at night for at least a week, also bring it in if its very windy, it will damage those soft leaves.

Once its hardened off you can plant it out in a bigger pot.

3. waqas

waqas Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    OK pete.

I have added a pic of the top, not forked yet, how long do you guys think until it may flower? 1-2 months?
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also any one got Brugmansia Knightii

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
  5. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,157
    Mmmmmmm ... I'll say it's looking nice and healthy and could be in that time period but ...

Sorry, I don't know B knightii ...

6. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi guys. Lady:luv:.
    Waqas, for the lily beetles use Provado ultimate bug killer, works a treat.
    Your Brug looks great. :gnthb: Impossible to tell when it will flower. Iv've got 4 and they all flower at different times. You'll know when you've got a "Y". A little pod forms in the middle of it. That's your flower bud. When they're outside they're likely to be blown over in strong winds. I weigh mine down with slabs. Good luck:)

7. waqas

waqas Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, ill goto Wilkos and get some Provado

8. waqas

waqas Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    HI again, just went to B&Q and picked up some compost and a glazed clay pot (£12!) as it looked nice lol.

Repotted and here it is, will move it later this week as its realy heavy.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

9. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,157
    Now that's looking good wagas ... and seems older than you say ... :scratch: You may well flower soon ... or at least your plant ... :hehe:

Your three-tiered fountain outside will do very nicely here in my garden, thank you, if you'd like to bring it over .... :D

Please keep us posted on your progress.

10. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hmm! I think your pot has got a "bulge" before the top bit.:scratch: This will give you untold problems when you come to root prune it. If you don't intend to root prune it, I think you're going to need a bigger pot PDQ. :wink: Walnut used to suggest a 14" pot as a minimum. I think a straight sided pot might be better. By the end of the season the whole pot will just be a mass of roots. Keep watering and feeding:wink:

11. waqas

waqas Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    LOL, thanks guys, ill keep adding pics once its starts growing. Ow and I just checked my old messages and Walnut posted it to me at the end of June 2009, it was about 20cm if that.

The fountain is nice but my brother triped over it and its broken from the base, its no longer locking securly but has been standing for the past 8 months by gravity alone and still works fine, though one strong push and it will tumble down.

As for the bulge, I quickly has a look at the picture to make sure i never got some in it with a bulge lol. That happened as i forgot to move the plant and kept leaning for the window to get the light! Its doing it again.

What do you mean by root prune it?

12. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Ah! Well. Given the right conditions this will grow into a shrub/tree about 20' high. (ask "The Lady") Then you will need a pot about 3' wide .:wink: It will also make it impossible to overwinter in our climate. What I do is to prune it back hard in the Autumn, keep it in a light, frost-free area for the Winter. In the Spring, when new shoots appear, pull it out of the pot (mine are 14") cut the roots back to about 4" from the main stem, fill with new compost and let it do it again.:wink: They look sad for a few weeks but then they take off again,mine are going great guns.:) Check your P.M's:wink:

13. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,157
    Here is 'The Lady' because years ago I was known as Lady of Leisure (or LoL .. horrors now) .. but many people call me Lady .. bless them all xxxxxxxx

So, they are trees here and it boggles my mind still that they grow on the roadsides and God only knows where else with no care, no water, no tendering ... and I gasp when I look at them ....

14. potgirl

potgirl Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, been a long time since I logged on here. Sad to hear that Walnut has departed he was incredibly helpful to me last year in identifying and attack on my brugs of capsid bug.
    I am a very enthusiastic growers of brugmansias and seem to enjoy a reasonable degree of success. However, and please don't all shreak in horror, I do not even attempt to overwinter them anymore and treat them like annuals ! It is my one real gardening indulgence and I buy them every year from Jungle Gardens. This year I have seven plants received last week and now out in their pots. I grow in very large pots (18 - 20") and once in place cannot move them.
    Waqas - this year I am growing Knightii, will keep you up to date with its progress.
    The other six are -
    Aurea Cloranth
    Dalens Glorie
    Flowerdream
    Morning Sun
    Sanguinea red
    Herzenbrucke

Its great to be back and chatting with you all. All the best

Carol

15. waqas

waqas Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome back, you have some great sounding Burgs there.

Im going out a stretch but could I get a cutting or seed of the Knightii, it looks so nice on the JungleGardens website.

Also would you mind posting a few pics for us all to see your burgs?