brugmansia

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by GeorgeBean, May 9, 2010.

1. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    SNAP - Victoria.

I was just looking at their 'Plum Paradise' page and checked back to your picture to check that you had that variety. And so got directed back to their page again. :D

They do have some superb pictures and plants on that site. But they don't often have those items on offer. Also they are only sold via auction on e-Bay, and I am very wary of buying that way.

2. waqas

waqas Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, Victoria, the burg has started to split now from the top (fork). How exciting!
    [​IMG]

3. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,157
    Excellent wagas ... you're on your way ... :gnthb:

Mine has buds ... and I thought it was dead a few months ago .... :yho:

4. potgirl

potgirl Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Waqas.

Thrilled to hear your brug is doing well outside. It is indeed very exciting when they fork. Watch out for the tiny developing flower buds at the leaf joints above the fork. They will start to appear almost immediately.
    Three of mine have also forked and are showing some buds.
    Spent yesterday afternoon setting up the Gardena watering system to all of them as we are away in Andalusia, Spain for a week from Thursday this week. Have to say it was money well spent. Attach timer to tap, then hose pipe, then gardena pipe which trails around terrace with individual small pipes to each pot with adjustable nozzle on each. I set it for an hour each evening. After that they are on their own !! Love growing brugs but they aint gonna stop me from travelling my other great passion, apart from my husband of course !

All the best

Carol

5. waqas

waqas Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Carol hope you have a nice trip, I have one flower bud, its tiny!.

However I the leafs are not as vibrant as they were inside, they have got some tiny, 1mm spots underneath, I sprayed it with Povardo or whats it called but don't know what it is. See image below.

Also what do you lot feed the burg and how often, i just give it tom feed once a week.

[​IMG]

6. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    I cant wait for my Brug to flower, first time growing one too.

7. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,157
    Hi wagas. Congrats on the bud! :gnthb:

You will lose leaves on a regular basis with any of this species, they yellow and drop quite quickly ... well, at least they do with me. I'm not sure about the spots but if you've sprayed it you should be okay but perhaps Cajary will come along this evening and give this thoughts. Feeding regularly with tomato food is fine.

8. waqas

waqas Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    OK thanks.

Penny well you know what you should look for now after reading my posts lol, from start to finish ill keep uploading pics as I progress.

9. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi waqas. As the Lady:luv: says, they shed leaves all the time. Mine get those little spots on them just before they turn yellow and die. I've never thought much about it. I just thought it was the natural process as the leaf dies.:scratch: Doesn't seem to harm the whole plant. I use Phostogen, once a week, as fertiliser. In the past I've used Growmore. I only switched to Phostrogen on advice from the Sensei.:)

10. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Oh! Should have said.:dh: Sometimes you get damage to the growing tips with a "spiders web" looking lace. That's caused by Capsid bugs. Provado doesn't work on them. You have to use a pesticide that contains "Bifenthrin":wink:

11. waqas

waqas Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  12. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    Absolutely........thanks :gnthb:

13. waqas

waqas Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    From Wisteria back to Brug.

From the pic below you will see that the burg has a thin layer of sbiders web all aroud the upper half of the pland and leaves, it has lots of green things traped as you can see.
    Is this a spiders web with dirt or a pest?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What is this tip at the top of the plant, was it a flower bud that just died?

[​IMG]

And finaly, i think this is a flower bud!

[​IMG]

14. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,157
    Not sure, waqas, spray with soapy water ... I have the same problem. Caj :luv: help us here ...

Here are my two buds ... sadly only two but having thought I lost the plant I'm grateful ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. waqas

waqas Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It looks like a bloody courgette! Did the soap work?