brugmansia

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by GeorgeBean, May 9, 2010.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    waqas, they make the leaves drop off, without leaves the plant cant grow.

If it outside the mites reproduce slower and the plant has more natural growing conditions.

However I guess your plant is used to indoors so it needs to be introduced to outdoors slowly, and full sun on a house plant this time of the year is not good.

You actually need to spray the whole plant with something that kills red spider.

If you find a spray that works, let me know, I've been looking for one for years.:)

2. waqas

waqas Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just flound this!

Spray Recipe #1
    Blend together the following
    ½ cup of starch or flour
    ½ cup milk
    1 gallon water

When sprayed over the mites this mixture will trap them as it dries into a thin film. Repeat every 4/5 days until control established. Check plants daily to ensure effectiveness. Dead mites will turn black so are much easier to see.

Spray Recipe #2
    This is also a deterrent on uninfected plants and may help to keep mites and other pest at bay. It is also good to ward off Vampires.!
    ½ - 1 ounce Garlic
    2-3 ounces of onion
    ½ - 1 ounce of cloves
    ½ - 1 ounce of Cayenne pepper

Whiz in your blender with 1 Cup of water till very fine.

Add this mixture to one gallon of room temperature water. This spray must be repeated 3 times at 5-day intervals to kill off freshly hatched mites (the spray will not kill the eggs). If the mixture gets washed off it must be re applied.

Spray Recipe #3
    This is the favourite of the person who posted it onto the website. It is a product called “Ultra Fine”. This is soap and phosphorous solution intended to specifically kill Spider mites and their eggs (as well as most other common pests) with just one spraying. Repeat after 10 days as a precaution in case you missed any the first time.

3. potgirl

potgirl Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,
    Back from a week in Spain and happy to say the Brugs have survived the weather you have all been enjoying.

Waqas, Sorry to hear of your problems with red spider. Have been looking through the info supplied by Jungle Gardens and the following might be of some help -
    'Brugmansia are prone to whitefly and red spider and we would not recommend them for a dry conservatory position, high humidity is necessary to keep the red spider at bay and they are far better grown outside during the summer. Note a 15" - 20" pot may be needed and they dislike being potbound which in addition encourages pest attacks.
    'Brugmansia suffer from slugs and most other leaf eating insects, white fly, red spider and leaf hoppers. Use Provado bug killer for white fly problems and Dynamec for red spider and leaf hopper problems. Dynamec (the only 100% effective insecticide solution we have found for red spider!) can be purchased from Kays horticulure but only in 250ml containers'

Hope this might be of some help
    Best of luck

Carol

4. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,157
    Here's my Brugmansia this evening ... it's pink but the buds are yellow ....

[​IMG]

5. waqas

waqas Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I only have 4 pf the top leafes left and 2 of the flower buds which I did have had dried up! :(

6. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,157
    Hi waqas, are you watering it daily (but not allowing it to be waterlogged) in the heat you are having there?

I corresponded with Walnut last week as I had what he identified as powdery mildew on mine, so I brushed it off and moved it away from the red Brugmansia and from under the grapes (it's a catching virus) and all seems fine now. The big leaves in the pot to the right in the photo is my red one.

7. waqas

waqas Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Watering fine, its the red mites! they are everywhere.

8. potgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Victoria,

Love the pic of your Brugmansia ! Do you mean the emerging flowers are yellow and then open to pink? I grew one last year which had pale lemon to white flower buds but they opened and became a soft pink. Strange Eh ! I have found that several varieties have flowers where the colour intensifies after the flowers have fully opened for the first time.
    I am also growing red sanguinea. I keep it immediately outside the kitchen french doors, which is a north facing wall, as they appear to do better in a cooler position. In saying that all of my brugs are on the same north terrace and see early morning sun and mid afternoon onwards.
    Thought of you when recently in Seville as they was a magnificent avenue of Jakaranda trees and recall a pic you posted of a beauty in your garden. Apologies for spelling am sure it is incorrect !
    All the best
    Carol

9. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,157
    Hello Carol

You were just 'up the road' as Seville is a straight shot from here, about 3 hours. My Jacarandas are still blooming, two months now which is quite a long time for them.

Yes, I mean the buds are yellow but the blooms pink ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Are you doing Daturas as well? Here is my D metel 'Blackcurrent Swirl' which I have managed to overwinter outside. It died back to the soil but has two stems 20cm tall. I have also managed to get several from it's seed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. waqas

waqas Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Your B&D's look lovely, I love the colour of Blackcurrent Swirl I just cant beleive how much damage the mites are doing. oh well.

11. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,157
    Oh waqas, I'm so sad you're suffering so much with the red spider ... I don't know what to say except it needs fresh air and spraying with the hose to get the residue off. Mine suffered for the past two years and I persevered (outside) and look what I'm getting ... don't give up!

I can put you in touch with Walnut if you like .... not by his personal address but by other means if you would like his adivce. If so, let me know and I'll PM you.

I have never had seed with my Brug but have with my Datura if you'd like to try this coming year? Daturas are typically annuals but as I've said I've managed to overwinter mine but also have the backup of the offspring.

12. potgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    Morning Victoria,

Lovely pics and your brugmansia is a beautifuk colour. I have never grown Datura but seeing your pics makes me very tempted to have a try next year. Are they as vulnerable to beasties as brugmansias. Am currently waging war on capsid bugs that have launched an attack on a couple of my plants.
    Would be very grateful if you could PM me with the details of how to make contact with Walnut as you suggested to Waqas. Hope that Waqas can solve the problem with red spider. Like yourself I dont know what else to suggest.
    All the best
    Carol

13. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,094
    :) This old picture again,a super Brug. growing outside in Norfolk England.......
    alas NOT in my garden....

[​IMG]

14. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,157
    Good morning Carol, I have PMd you.

I have been fortunate not to have many beasties on any of this family (Brumansia, Datura, Iochroma or Cestrum). Daturas are said to be annuals but as I said I have managed to overwinter it as I did with one some years ago, but even with me they only last a couple of years. I'll try to remember to send you some seed.

Here's my Brug this morning changing colour .

[​IMG]

15. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    Victoria those are gorgeous and if you get seeds from that datura, i would LOVE some please!!