brugmansia

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by GeorgeBean, May 9, 2010.

1. waqas

waqas Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Morning, well i have left the Brug outside and it still has the mites but fewer. I have almost given up but it has started to recover :)

2. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    Excellent...fingers crossed for you.

3. MissSapphire

MissSapphire Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    All these flowers are so beautiful! congratulations, ladies :)
    My boyfriend's mother has one very similar but I'm no sure if it is brugmansia or not. All of your are colored but this one is white ... anyway, it is gorgeous!

4. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi MissS. There are plenty of varieties of White Brugs. :)
    The rule of thumb is, "if the flower points down, it's a Brug. If the flower points up, it's a Dat.":wink: There are a few exceptions but not enough to worry about.:)

5. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,157
    Following on from what Caj :luv: said ...

Brugmansias are Angel's Trumpets and look downwards from the heavens ... Daturas are Devil's Trumpets and look upward from hell ... both are equally beautiful. :)

6. waqas

waqas Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well here a updated pic, lost alot of leaves but put on new growth, alot near the bottom of the steam. Still have patchy leaves but no spider mites that I can see or webs etc. looks all clear.

[​IMG]

7. MissSapphire

MissSapphire Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, cajary, it's clear now :) it's feels good to have the same flower with you all, I mean it's great how a sensitive flower like this can resist in so many places on the Earth :)

8. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Edison. Give it a go.:gnthb: To be able to sit on the patio now, with whatever you fancy in your hand and absorb the scent, makes all the difficulties worthwhile.:)

9. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    This one got badly damaged in the high winds and had to be pruned heavily. We didn't think it would survive but it has now rewarded us with a flower. :gnthb:

[​IMG]

10. potgirl

potgirl Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Afternoon everyone,
    Enjoyed all your pics, keep up the good work.
    This is my first attemp at posting pics. One of brug 'morning sun' and second of a couple more on their way !

Carol

11. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Shiney - Thats lovely - but I think your flower is holding up the whole plant! Do you always keep your pot in a saucer of water? Potgirl that 'Morning Sun is brilliant.

I was looking on an exotic plants forum and noticed a thread on taking Brugmansia cuttings. So I thought I would try and sumarise what they were saying:-

1) You can take cuttings at almost any time of the year except in the winter. Now is a good time

2) A plant grown from seed will grow to 5 or 6 feet with a single stem and then fork. Only after it has forked will it flower. If you take a cutting from below the fork, the cutting will grow to 5 or 6 feet and then fork before it flowers. But if you take the cutting from above the fork, it will flower earlier and from a lower height.

3) You can take cuttings from soft tips but they can rot, more woody cuttings seem to do better. Typically the length and thickness of a pencil or more. 2 inch wide and three feet long cuttings will also work. And you need to cut off most of the foliage.

4) cuttings can either be put direct into damp sand or more often in a glass of water. Once the white bumps (incipient roots) are seen its a good idea to pot it up. Long roots grown in water tend to rot after potting up.

I am definately going to have a go.

12. potgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    Morning Peter,

Thanks for your kind comment. Was interested to read your notes on taking cuttings. It confirms what I have always believed about taking from above or below the fork.
    As I have said previously I buy from Jungle Gardens and they supply plants which have been grown from cuttings above the fork which has advantages and disadvantages.
    If you look at my pic of 'morning sun' it is flowering very low on the plant. I prefer them to have a fair bit of height before flowering as I think it makes a more pleasing display. However, you will see that it has thrown up a substantial new stem from the soil which is well above the flowers and has already forked and produced buds. I feel it will give a more balanced look to the whole plant.
    It is all a matter of personal preference I suppose !

all the best

Carol

13. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi Potgirl

The thing I love about this forum, is not only the information that you can get from it but also the incentive to Google and thereby learn more. I hadn't realised the difference between cuttings from above or below the fork until recently, but it all makes sense. My introduction to Brugmansias was some seed kindly provided by Walnut, a GC member, last year. I sowed the seed and it grew to over 6 feet, and as Walnut had said it didn't flower till it forked at about 5 feet. So I assumed that all Brugmansias would flower at that height.

It was GeorgeBean's picture in the very first item of this thread that puzzled me. But it has all become clear now. But as Brugmansia is really a tree that can grow up to 20 feet, I suspect that your plant will get bigger :D . But you can still prune it to size. The major problem is how to overwinter them and this is where the excessive height becomes a problem.

I recently bought a yellow Brug, that looks similar to yours, at a garden centre. I think its the first time I have ever seen one for sale. As they are not easy to find, next year I think I will get some mixed hybrid seeds from Jungle seeds http://www.jungleseeds.co.uk/SeedOrders/contents/en-uk/d12.html and see what turns up.

14. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    Peter,
    Thanks for all that info - very interesting. :gnthb:

We tend to keep all the pots that sit on the patio in saucers (I only moved that pot onto the table to take the photo). The reason for it is that our patio is south facing and there is no shelter so the pots need a lot of watering.

The saucer not only keeps a reservoir for a while but also helps stop the patio from getting dirty. We don't have time to water with watering cans as you know how much we have to do :old: :).

The greenhouse is 20ft x 10ft, there are about 1,000 plants in pots in the plant sale areas (not in saucers but on plastic) and all our pation plants and hanging baskets. Even with a hose it can take an hour to do the watering - times two or three depending on the heat.

15. potgirl

Ratings:
    +0
    Morning Gentlemen,

Peter,
    Really interested to hear you grew a brug from seed as I have never tried maybe next year eh !
    They are fascinating plants and I have, as you, picked up all sorts of info on Google.
    As for overwintering, I have done in the past with a couple in the garage allowed to go completely dry and dormant. I had limited success when I brought them back to life and had to continually cut back to get to live wood. To be quite honest space is an issue and I no longer bother and now treat them as annuals buying plants each spring. With love and care, not to mention gallons of water and plenty of food, they usually storm away to 5 or 6 ft which keeps me happy enough. Arguably a more costly way of doing it but I think they give fantastic value each uear in relation to the cost of a plant.
    Have a look at some of the pics on Brugmansia Growers International, an american based site, that is where you will see huge plants growing directly in the ground in peoples' gardens.

Smiley,

Takes me enough time watering my pots dont envy you your task. However I do envy the 20ft greenhouse !!!

All the best

Carol