Brugmansias

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Wayne, Apr 30, 2013.

1. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    got really impressed by the quality of moles seeds , never failed with any of moles seeds , while JS have alway let me down .
    I still have some moles brugmansia seeds somewhere .

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      Although Moles smallest packet of Carrot seeds, for £2.40, is 22,500 seeds ... we do like carrots as a family, but ... :heehee:

• joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,386
      I will keep it simple with Good doers kristen honest :biggrin: and thank you for the links :blue thumb:
      I could fit a few about but not a lot if they grow as large as the grimaldi in the photo :yikes:

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +15,328
      Could I ask a quick question, please? I bought a double white brugmansia in one of those cheapie cardboard packets....it's virusy. Will it grow out of it with TLC or should I scrap it now, before it possibly infects my healthy ones?

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      Not just chlorotic? Perhaps worth treating with Sequestred Iron, or perhaps even just Epsom Salts (i.e. a Magnesium tonic) before junking it?

But I don't know anything about virus in Brugs, hopefully Wayne will be along ina minute :)

• Wayne

Wayne Gardener

Work for an Airline
      Ratings:
      +326
      I'd isolate it, and take Kristen's advice. See what happen's? I'd had a plant last year that eventually grew out whatever virus it had, and it's doing really well this year.
      What a cracking weekend..will post a few blooms that popped out. The warmth at night and the scent just hung in the air..great!

Wayne

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      Now you say that Wayne:

I had a plant (7' tall) that was really yellow and pathetic last year. I was going to bin it, but kept it over winter. It died back a lot, so I stopped watering it. After a few weeks a bud broke, low down, and an incredibly strong shoot has grown - I've started watering it again! Its about 4' tall now and looks really healthy. I have no explanation as to "why" though, and I also have no idea why it was yellow last year.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,957

No flowers for me yet either Freddy :(

Suddenly I've got shoots coming from one of the overwintered pots that looked as though it was completely dead. This is after I'd just read an article in the RHS monthly mag "The Garden" saying that if any plants haven't awakened by midsummer's day then they are dead!

• noisette47

Ratings:
      +15,328
      I'm pretty sure it's virus rather than chlorosis as all the pots get a dose of Miracle-Gro Ericaceaous feed when I do the citrus trees. It's due to be re-potted, so will see how it responds to that, and will keep it in splendid isolation just in case. Thanks all...
      You know, the roots are incredibly hardy, even in the ground. I've got several plants of a single-flowered yellow that sprout from ground level each year, they just don't get going early enough to make it worthwhile.

• Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,517
      Hello folks.

Mine was in a 4L pot and was looking like it needed potting on (judging by the root-ball), so I've just moved it on into a 6L pot. At what point do I need to be thinking of putting it into it's 'final' pot? And, what size would you suggest? Sorry if this has already been covered:redface:

• noisette47

Ratings:
      +15,328
      The size of pot depends on how big you are prepared to let it grow, Freddy:) Give a brugmansia a 50l pot and it will fill it! Mine end up in 50cm diameter pots by autumn (don't know how many litres they are:what:) , and get to 2m height and width. This year, will be training them as standards, though. That seems to reduce the food and water requirements but you still need a solid, stable pot.

• Freddy

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,517
      Yes, but I'm wondering if I should pot it on gradually?

• Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +55,139
      Freddy, I agree with Noisette about the 'big pots'. However, how does one judge it? Last year we planted Charlie in the ground in red clay ... how big of a pot is that, I ask? She is already over two meters tall and I am training her shape.

• Like Like x 1
      • Freddy

Retired - yay!
        Ratings:
        +12,517
        Hiya Vicky.

It's just that I want to encourage root growth. Not the same thing I know, but I used to grow a lot of Fuchsias, and I found that putting them into their 'final' size pot too soon resulted in them stalling, and never really got going. It's strange, but I find that planting them (any plants) into the ground is different from planting into pots.:dunno:

• Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
        Ratings:
        +55,139
        Agree Freddy, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Would you believe I cannot grow Geraniums in the sun here (do fantastically in the shade, except for the giants, 2 meters tall, which go without water even in full sun), Marigolds, Petunias nor Gazanias? Now how bizarre is that, I ask? Yet, I can do Fuchsias, Begonias, Spider Plants and allsorts outside in the shade year round ... for years on end! :spinning:

One thing I did learn here was that I pay attention when I go to the garden centers ... if they have them under cover outdoors, that means they do not like the sun here.

It's got to be Wayne to come along and advise you here ... over to you Wayne ...

• Like Like x 2