Buddleja "tree" in a pot

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by misterQ, Mar 25, 2024.

1. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,485
    The cultivated varieties of buddleia aren't quite as domineering as the wild form. I've yet to see any buddliea I've ever grown seed itself anywhere. I often leave some seedheads for the birds, so there should be [theoretically] a good chance of some taking, but there never is. If I want more, I just take cuttings - those are extremely easy. I often use the cut back branches as supports for other plants, and they often root, so I have to keep an eye on them!
    It's also quite different if you actively sow seed [of most plants] compared with something self seeding naturally, and it's why so many plants produce such huge quantities of seed. Just like frogspawn - they don't all make it. :smile:

Actively growing a cultivated type in a pot is always a bit hit and miss @Mrs. B , and will come down to the factors mentioned by @misterQ. A bigger pot and some heftier soil might help though :smile:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +22,571
      @fairygirl growing Buddleja from seed see here:Buddleja davidii seeds
      @The Buddleja Garden produces the site I have linked to above. The website is very useful for anyone interested in buddlejas I have found very helpful over the years. Especially the annual diaries.

• Like Like x 1
      • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
        Ratings:
        +4,485
        Yes, I've seen that site before @NigelJ . I'm not really bothered about trying to grow from seed though, I was just trying to explain the differences between actively growing, and letting nature take it's course, which are often quite different processes :smile:

I left quite alot of seedheads on last summer/autummn, so perhaps with the wind here, someone further down the road has a hundred of my buddleias growing in their garden! ;)

• Mrs. B.

Mrs. B. Gardener

Ratings:
        +568
        @fairygirl mine originally just grew from a random seed, and every one I've ever left heads on has thrown saplings up all round the garden, lol!
        At my last place, me and a friend decided to landscape the hideous sea of gravel & brambles, and we pulled about 150 small buddleias out. (The day we picked to have a big bonfire was a 30⁰ day.. :thud:
        and the day we picked to lay the turf, there was a monsoon!!) I digress...
        I'll see what happens but it's not as if mine is a prized specimen that can't get planted in a field with the goat willow. :biggrin:

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
        Ratings:
        +4,485
        This is why location is a factor @Mrs. B. The seed would struggle to be viable and then germinate and grow over winter conditions here.
        People often moan about the amount of Verbena bonariensis they get seeding around. They're a rarity here for self seeding. If I get any, it's when they seed underneath another plant or similar. The adult plants don't always survive, let alone seedlings. I've only got two plants still alive, and that's after a very mild winter here. :smile: