Buying a new camera...

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by Aesculus, May 18, 2008.

1. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    [​IMG]

I've Looked at a review on the net and the guy says that he tested the camera with a 4gb sdhc card and it registered it as only 2gigs although there is a firmware update resolving this :)

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Sorry but I've got to disagree on this.
    The chances of a card corrupting are really very, very low. (Look up the MTBF - mean time between failure, specs for decent quality cards) You've far more chance of problems if you keep removing and inserting cards. Most problems with memory cards are due to physical contact problems (card to camera) rather than internal card corruption. If the internal contacts on your camera get bent, worn or dirty due to frequent removal/insertion of cards, repair (if it's worth it) will cost a lot more than a high capacity card.
    If you do start having problems with a CF card that you have been taking in and out of your camera -not a great idea as I've said, you can try cleaning the contacts with a gentle rub with a pencil eraser.

3. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I can see the pro's and cons of both small and large capacity cards. I generally use a 1gb card, mine are SD, for every day photography but when I go on holiday I use 256mb cards,using a fresh one for each day and leaving the used ones locked away. That way, should I have my camera stolen whilst i'm out and about, I don't loose my snaps too.

4. Aesculus

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    well i will probably being doing a similar thing when i go on holiday but i didn't buy the card because it had large a capacity i bought it because it was only £2.00 more than the 1 gig version:D

5. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    That's a very good point:thumb::thumb:

6. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    A word of warning about camera cards, there are an increasing ammount of "Fake" cards around and about, especially on places like ebay. These are replica cards or rebadged, basically if a deal on a camera card looks "too good to be true", it probably is.

Buy online from reputable dealers only, my recommendation is warehouse express http://www.warehouseexpress.com and I have no affiliation with them in any way whatsoever.

On a personal note I have always used sandisk extreme 3's in the one gb size and have never had a problem in any way. Both cards have probably had over 40,000 pictures recorded and read from them over the years.

I will soon have a much larger capacity card which will again be of the same type and it should be noted that these cards mostly come with a free mini disc that includes disc rescue software in the unlikely event of a problem occuring..I have this rescue pro..and never needed to use it.

Steve...:)

7. Aesculus

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Yes i agree you should never buy anything which claims to have more than 512mb of flash memory on board from eBay that includes cheap replica ipods and camera cards and usb pendrives:rolleyes: a friend of mine bought a really nice looking pendrive on eBay for about £10.00 and when he got it he couldn't work out why when he plugged it in nothing happened, so on my recommendation he opened up the plastic casing and found that it was just a bit of a PC lead sawed off and glued in the plastic casing... :D lol but for anything pc wise i would buy at ebuyer.com (not ebay) there a really good uk based company with amazing savings! also i bought my sd card from play.com another great company

8. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Industrial carpet machinist
    Ratings:
    +77
    I must have been lucky.
    I have had 2 cameras many sd cards chargers leads etc over the past few years from ebay and never had a problem.
    If you pay by paypal you are covered anyway.
    They mostly always take the buyers side and you get all your money back.

9. Aesculus

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337

Well i hope they take the buyers side as I'm in the middle of a "non-received items claim" at the moment and the seller is just blatantly ignoring me...:rolleyes:

10. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Other than to sell off the odd half knakerd machine I dont use ebay, Sadly everythings been rigged to protect the seller.

Personally id rather spen a few £ more by using a reputable shop than pay money to someone the otherside of the country who may or may not be legitimate.

11. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I buy and sell a fair bit on ebay without problems for years but a few weeks ago i sold a mower it was ok but not great i described it acurately but he left me bad feedback despite leaveing with it happy as larry :mad: ah well i was then given a gas bbq i sold for 25 quid :D ive also got some good bargains to but yeah youve got to be carefull i mean id never go and spend 100s

12. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,167
  13. Aesculus

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    well it's not rigged to protect the seller anymore eBay stepped up to all the complaints and has implemented a whole array of new systems to protect the the buyer :rolleyes: which also includes sellers not being able to leave bad feedback:eek:

14. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah dont i know it :( however i know where he lives and his van stands out so i might pop round sometime lol lol :D

15. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    I use a Panasonic Lumix FZ10. An excellent body with the same feel as a 35mm SLR, so you can use it with both hands on the body or with one on the body and one on the lens barrel (the way SLR cameramen do it). It's the best of both worlds, Panasonic body and Leica Lens, the same as Leica Camera's except they have the name Leica on the body as well (but cost £200 - £300 more).

Although Panasonic have brought out several later models of the same series, I have not seen enough improvement to warrant changing it. After four years it still suits my purpose.

As for the SD cards, I have a 256MB and 2GB, large cards are not necessary as I download the files to the computer when I get home.