Calling all photography experts

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by Fat Controller, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +51,873
    You sir, are a true gentleman.

I will hopefully be back to work on Monday, so little ears won't be around, and I will probably give them a call.

Really appreciate your help with this :)

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    You are more than welcome, FC:snork:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
      +100,838

Hi FC,
      When you said that what I should have replied "maybe" as some of the lenses will have adaptors on them because they've been used with a Panasonic Lumix camera and some will not because they haven't!!! But for those that haven't buy an adapter because as I said it will open the range of lenses that Mrs C can use in the future.

• Like Like x 1
      • Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +51,873
        No luck so far @ARMANDII - I rang Mifsuds, who were lovely, but said that there was only one option which was the new Panny lens at a couple of arms and legs. I did mention getting a lens and an adaptor to screw onto the front of one of the existing lenses, but the chap seemed to think that was a non-starter.

Ffordes are closed over the weekend, so I will give them a ring early in the week.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,838
        It is a starter, FC, I assure you. You can use those lens I quoted with an adapter for the G2, expect to pay around £28 for an adapter.

I hope you're feeling better.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +51,873
        Thanks Armandii :)

The chap was nice enough to talk to, but just didn't seem interested in selling me anything - sightly disappointing, as I had my card sitting next to me ready to pay if he offered a suitable used lens and an adapter

I am going to try the other place through the week (closed on a weekend), and as they hail from Scotland I am hoping that they might speak my language a wee bit more :biggrin:

I'm not feeling too bad thanks - I've got a bit of a chesty cold on top of all the other nonsense (time of year), but generally doing reasonably well. Doc doubled the dose of the Ramipril on Friday, but also noted that my BP was settling nicely - and, he was also happy with some of the lifestyle changes I have made so far; all I need do now is keep them up! :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 4
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,838
          That's a shame as when I've talked to them they were very knowledgeable....possibly he was just interested in selling a new lens to you. But I think you just got some one who wasn't very knowledgeable.

Ask them if they've got the lenses in stock and explain what you need one for. They may not have adapters in stock but you can get them easily elsewhere.

Glad to hear you're a bit better. You're always prone to getting a cold when you're not well with something else......Life's a B..........:snork:

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +51,873
          Well Ffordes were a bit more talkative, but it appears the options are limited - the micro four-thirds lens specifically for the camera is £400, however a suitable lens and adaptor is a kick in the pants of the same money. :dunno:

Think I have backed a loser with this idea.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +51,873
          Nah, I just refuse to be beaten on this simply because I am too thick to know what I am looking for.

@ARMANDII - I am sorry, but I am going to need to rely on your good judgement here. I've done a bit of poking around, and if I am not wrong I think I need to be getting something along the lines of this lens and then the likes of this adapter?

If that is the case, I will order both this evening. Failing that, I'd be grateful if you could direct me to a suitable lens so I can then go and try to get a suitable adapter.

Anyone else that wants to pitch in here, do feel free, as I need all the help I can get with this. :)

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,997
          @fat controller I have that macro lens and a lot of other Zuiko 'legacy glass' + a Mirror Telephoto that I use with an adaptor on my m4/3 Olympus OMD and Pen cameras which are exactly the same fitting as Panasonic m4/3. My adaptor is this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002CVTA2Y/ref=ox_ya_os_product but the cheaper ones are supposed to be OK. N.B. Check if that Amazon seller dispatches 'in one day' but ships from China which can take 3 -4 weeks (as you've previously experienced!0.

You are aware that those old SLR lenses require manual focussing + you're restricted on shooting settings?

Would you like me to take a couple of pics using it tomorrow? If you purchase, I suggest getting a 49mm filter to protect the front lens element and a lens cap to protect the filter as only a rear cap is shown in the pics.

macro.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +51,873
            That would be fantastic thanks @Scrungee :)

So, I am on the right track at least; Right - I am thinking this adapter is the fellow to have (UK stock, from Guildford, so I could almost pick it up!)?

EDIT - or is this one any better?

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
            +28,997
            There's no easy answer. I read this review and decided I didn't want to place a cheap adaptor between a £700 camera body and a quality lens so paid the £100 premium for the Olympus adaptor, but that was because I already had a mass of OM Zuiko lenses that could be used with that adaptor.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +51,873
            Hmmmm - the Olympus adapter would knacker the budget at the minute, so it will have to be a cheaper one for now (not least as it would only be for the macro lens for now).

At some point in the future, I may well go for the Olympus one as she accrues more OM lenses

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,838
            Sorry to be in late on this one and Thank You, Scrungee, for coming in to add your good advice to help FC out.

Yep, that's what I been recommending and talking about, FC. It shouldn't break the Bank and should be the working answer to a Happy Christmas.

Actually, most people when taking macro shots use manual mode due to the Auto Focus on the camera not being accurate enough. Because your Good Lady will be using the lens with the adapter on the camera in Manual mode she will be able to set her aperture and shutter speed normally without any problem.

It looks good to me, FC. To be honest, I use adapters for some of the Tamron Lenses that I have and they are "third party" adapters rather than Tamron branded ones as they seem to work fine. I also use "third party" extension tubes rather than Pentax branded ones and again they also work for me. The only remote danger that a "third party" adapter poses is that if it is a "cheap and nasty make" then it could be ill fitting and/or be difficult to add on or remove. Having had a look at the adapter of your choice it looks fine to me and I do know XCSOURCE and BV Electronics are pretty well known for quality. Spending a lot of money on an accessory that has the same brand name of a camera does give the confidence in what you buy but take for example a genuine Pentax rechargeable battery for my K5....that will cost me around £70 -£80 whereas a "third party" battery of equal quality will cost around £12. Plus most branded accessories are not made by the brand displayed but actually by outside manufacturers.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,838
              Just as an aside. I've just bought a 30 year old lens [as a treat and to cheer myself up:hate-shocked:] from E Bay and had a notification from Pay Pal confirming the payment and then another from them stating that I was being refunded the money!!:scratch: I then received another e-mail from the e-bay seller apologising because he had inadvertently stated that the lens was an FA [automatic focusing] when it was really just an A lens. So instead of withdrawing the item from sale and just refunding my money he was sending me the lens and paying for the postage for free!! as well as refunding the money. As I tend to use my camera a lot in Manual mode whether it is an A lens or a FA lens was immaterial and I told the seller so but he's said he described it wrongly and I should make good use of a free lens.............now that did cheer me up!!!:hapydancsmil::snork:

• Like Like x 5