1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Camera

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by kazzawazza, Sep 11, 2018.

1. kazzawazza

kazzawazza Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,858
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      [​IMG]

At the heart of the Canon EOS 1200D is an APS-C-sized CMOS sensor with a resolution of 18 million pixels. This sensor has a significantly higher resolution than the 12.2-million-pixel sensor featured in the EOS 1200D’s predecessor, the EOS 1100D. Also, with its dimensions of 22.3×14.9mm, the EOS 1200D’s sensor is a mere 0.1×0.2mm larger than its predecessor. The same DIGIC 4 processor remains inside the new EOS 1200D. This is capable of shooting at a speed of three frames per second in continuous mode for a total of 69 JPEG images or six raw images.

As a kit, the EOS 1200D comes with an 18-55mm f/3.5-f/5.6 IS III lens. With the 1.6x crop factor of the APS-C sensor, this is equivalent to 28.8-88mm in 35mm. Canon says the image stabilisation allows a slower shutter speed of up to 4 stops.

Like all Canon APS-C-sized-sensor cameras, the EOS 1200D features an EF-S lens mount, which is compatible with Canon EF and EF-S lenses. There is an enormous range of excellent lenses to choose from, with an option to suit most people’s budgets. Canon has made significant improvements in the area of video, with the camera now featuring 29.97fps, 25fps or 23.976fps at 1080p resolution video shooting, with an option for video snapshots.

On top of the camera is a pop-up flash with a guide number of 9.2m at ISO 100. The Canon EOS 1200D also features a hotshoe that accepts all Canon-fit Speedlites from the compact Canon 90EX, which costs around £35, to the flagship 600EX-RT at £469.

Canon has rated the EOS 1200D’s battery as lasting for approximately 500 shots in 23°C temperatures, or 410 in 0°C conditions. While this is far fewer than the 700-650 shots rated by the EOS 1100D, 500 shots should be sufficient for most day-to-day shooting and additional batteries can be bought separately.

For those who wish to shoot raw images, Canon has supplied its Digital Photo Professional editing software with the camera. This is capable of adjusting features such as exposure, white balance, tone-curve and dynamic range. In addition, there is Image Browser EX, Photo Stitch panoramic image-stitching software, EOS Utilities and Picture Style Editor.

Although the Canon EOS 1200D doesn’t boast Wi-Fi on its spec sheet, it is still fully compatible with Eye-Fi memory cards, and Eye-Fi transfer can be enabled or disabled in the camera’s menu. Eye-Fi cards support wireless file transfer to a smart device via an Android or iOS app, and can also wirelessly transfer images to a computer."

Looks fine to me, kazz............but it all comes down to your choice and thoughts.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
        +21,806
        Can you perhaps pop into a store such as CEX and have a play with a few models? It does make a huge difference as to how it fits your hand etc

• Agree Agree x 1
        • kazzawazza

Ratings:
          +1,858
          @Loofah thanks, I never thought of them :thumbsup: They also sell the 1300D for £245 which is only two years old.

• Like Like x 1
          • Loofah

Ratings:
            +21,806
            No worries. The earlier comment on how you feel about the camera is pretty accurate so worth a trip!

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • kazzawazza

Ratings:
              +1,858
              The only worry with somebody like CEX is the guarantee and condition of what you are actually buying because isn't this something like a pawn shop? So you have no idea of the shutter count or if there is anything wrong with the camera.

There is also an on-line company called E Global Central selling the Canon 4000D for £229.99 which is good for a 2018 model that John Lewis is selling for £299.99 but their Trust Pilot rating is not very good
              https://www.eglobalcentraluk.com/ca...p3tCh3-MAGvEAQYAiABEgIs5vD_BwE#/product/24314

I did ask Jessops if they would price match but they said no. Worth a try :snorky:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,836
              Don't Jessops quote a higher price in the shop and a lower price on line? I remember some complaints about that practice in the Amateur Photography Magazine.

• Loofah

Ratings:
              +21,806
              Where you buy from is different to trying out the unit. It's just to get a feel for the camera in your hand then buy it from wherever.

I bought a lens from eglobal incidentally. Took a long time to arrive but was as described

• Like Like x 1
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • kazzawazza

Ratings:
                +1,858
                I bought my first DLSR today :)I went for the second hand Canon 1200D in the end, with me being a complete newbie. It looks brand new.

I was talking to one of the assistants in London Camera Exchange today about photo editing software as I know that Photoshop is quite pricey. I currently use Snapseed on my phone, but the assistant said that Affinity Photo is better than Photoshop and only £50 (one off cost). I have never heard of Affinity. Does anybody use it and is any good?

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,836
                Yes, I use Affinity Photo for my JPEG shots and it is very good, Kazz. You'll need to look at a few tutorial videos that they supply on the Web, but at £48.99 on offer at the moment it's a good deal. It's the "Photo" version that you want, there are other versions but Photo is the one you need. I've got Lightroom and Photoshop, both were bought before they decided to rent it out making it more expensive. I reckon it's as good, and as powerful, as Photoshop so it's a one time buy bargain.:thumbsup::coffee::snorky: One last thing it needs a 64bit system and won't work with a 32bit.

• Like Like x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • kazzawazza

Ratings:
                  +1,858
                  A couple of questions on Affinity Photo -

How do I find out how many bit my system is ?

If I purchase Affinity, would I be able to use it on my PC, IPad and mobile I.e. 3 devices?

• Like Like x 1
                  • Loofah

Ratings:
                    +21,806
                    Look under system information which you can get to after pressing windows key+i as memory serves...

I'd assume if you install on pc then it will only be available on pc

• Like Like x 2
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,836
                      The PC version is also for Laptops and that is on my Laptop which is used solely for my astronomy processing of images taken with my Telescope Camera. There is a version for I.Pad but I don't think there's a version for Mobiles. To be honest I would only use a PC or Laptop for processing images as they have more power, RAM, and storage. Having said that, Affinity Photo wouldn't have made a version for I.Pad if it wouldn't work:dunno::snorky:

• Like Like x 1
                      • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                        Ratings:
                        +6,097
                        I've used London Camera Exchange in the past, found them a bit pricey. Not having heard of Affinity Photo either, I can't comment. I tend to listen to our learned friend Armandii.
                        On my Desk Top screen. There is a symbol saying. Computer. Cliicking on this all details of the computer are displayed. Enjoy your photography.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                        • kazzawazza

Ratings:
                          +1,858
                          It looks as though you can purchase Affinity Photo for Windows at £48.99, and the IPad version currently has 30% off until 17 September, and is only £13.99. Therefore if I wanted it on both devices, it’s £62.98.

My IPad is a 2017 model, so it looks as though it’s a 64 bit. So I think for £13.99 it’s probably worth buying AP for the IPad.

Thank you everybody for your good advice :)

• Like Like x 1
                            Last edited: Sep 16, 2018