Can softwood cuttings of ivy grow on vertical walls with 1" clay/cow manure plaster?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by mikeote, Nov 27, 2010.

1. mikeote

mikeote Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Oops I forgot to answer your question Pete, I'm in Hertfordshire.

No go on the Virginia Creeper if it's deciduous, i'll google for evergreen climbers, what's your favorite ?

Some thing which grows fast would be ideal.

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    Mike I really like your idea & I am racking my brains for something else for you to grow... I very mistakenly planted some ivy to scramble over a silly little bit of wall that does nothing really thinking how nice it would look... s00k Now I still can't get rid of it 10yrs down the line.................... It has destroyed my lovely old bit of dry stone wall & I am still fighting it despite Round up on it several times.............................. s00k Mike... All I can say to your idea is be darned sure a whole lot of ivy is really really what you want...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It is amazing stuff, but equally amazing to eradicate..............

Mike tell me....Why....................????????????????????
    If you are going to all this trouble to cover the building............Have you thought of coving the outside of the building in Wire mesh & letting various climbers scramble around it instead... Then you could have flowers as well as evergreen......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Why do you want Ivy.... What sort of Ivy too...?????????????????????? I am puzzled..... :scratch:

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,099
    I was hoping you was going to say the west coast of Ireland, somewhere a bit damp all year.:D

You know I cant think of a good climber that would create what you want to achieve, as climbers are just that, roots in the ground and climbing stems but with aerial roots that mainly just attach the plant .

What you actually need is some kind of rock plant that perhaps grows on cliffs and can take drought, but trails downward.

Not well up on them myself but I think Ziggys strangler fig would work for one summer only.:D
    Get into a tropical situation and I'm sure there are many.

5. mikeote

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ziggy, all the images I get fr the Strangler Fig don't look very leafy, it looks like an alarming alien creature... =/

6. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    Also plant some Climbing Hydrangeas then.........:yez:

7. mikeote

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the warning Marley ! I've read that Ivy grows in proportion to it's roots, so if it's growing in an inch of plaster it shouldn't get too large, also if it's growing in a trough / pots I think I can keep it under control.

I would like some thing which can cover the house as soon as it's built, as well as waiting for climbers out of pots / trough, evergreen hardy and fasting growing suggestions for none Ivy from the trough/pots are appreciated :)

The Ivy will likely be the most common type, though not sure yet, wanted to confirm the idea was viable first.

I'll have a look around the net for a " rock plant that perhaps grows on cliffs and can take drought, but trails downward", which I can some how plant in one or several inches of plaster.

8. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Only joking there Mike, have a google on Hottentot fig though, only ever seen one growing on the tip of the lizard peninsular in this country, think they come from South Africa originally

9. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    I have a hottentot Fig Ziggy but not hardy here sadly..

10. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  11. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,099
    I doubt hottentot fig would be hardy enough Ziggy, it grows at places around the kent coast, but has always turned to mush for me even in our milder winters.

Although you have brought to mind Delosperma cooperi, which is pretty hardy and can trail at least 3 ft