1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you Pollard a Silver Birch?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Phil A, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Got some that are getting too big.

2. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    They're not a tree that likes hard pruning Zigs, so pollarding isn't recommended, if it is done, it should be done in the autumn when its going into dormancy as should any pruning of them. The re-growth on them will be bushy and not like the tree it was, its also said it will reduce the life expectancy of the tree.

Not much help I know if they're getting too big :)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      When I lived in Sheffield, the old boy next door had one that grew taller than the house. He loved that tree but wanted it reduced. Being a bit old (an excuse, because he was every bit as agile and capable as me) he asked me to go up the ladders to do it. I cut the main trunk off at the height he asked me to, and it looked fine. Ok, at first it was obvious it had been cut, but by the time it greened up the following spring, it just looked like we'd rolled back the clock by a few years. That was about 3 or 4 years before I left Sheffield, and the tree was still doing fine when we moved away.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        That is useful Bilbo, didn't think it was a good idea, asking for Sister, but one of them is going to fall over & split its trunk soon anyway.:blue thumb:

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,514
        One of our silver birches got blown down in the hurricane of '87. As it came down it took off one half of another split trunk silver birch. It took away the top 25ft and left about 10ft of it above where it forked. The original fork was at a height of about 10 ft.

The tree is still doing well :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
        • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,997
          I pollarded one last year just to see what happened and will have a look tomorrow. Silver Birch is OK for burning really quick. I coppiced a dozen or so of them about 6 years ago and they're a great source of pea sticks every couple of years.

• Like Like x 1
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +86,064
            I tend to cut the one I have on the allotment back in autumn, as Bilbo says, its the best time.
            Any other time and it will "bleed".

• Like Like x 1