1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Canna 2012

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HarryS, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    "seen them growing even in water"

I don't know if all Cannas are happy growing in water, but its something I've seen on several occasions.

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    I'm definitely no expert on Cannas, but I believe that Canna Glauca and the "Water" cannas are the ones that like to grow in water if given the chance, while the other species and varieties just like it moist.:D

3. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Now I`m really curious myself if this variety will perform nicely in UK , I feel really gutted that couldn`t collect any seeds of the tiki torch or the red canna , they where outstand even orange heliconias.
    Yes the yellow canna look like the King Humbert but is called Phuttaa-raksaa , what it makes different from the other cannas is the unusual size of the flower , the brightnes of the colour and thin leaves ......the leaves of the plant almost look like heliconias leaves ......this yellow canna where combined with dark blue peas growing on it (got the seeds as well ) .
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      "I feel really gutted that couldn`t collect any seeds of the tiki torch or the red canna "

Do you think they were species? Otherwise might not come "true" from seed?

• Like Like x 1
      • sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,998
        I do belive so , seen some of it in strange position , more of self propagated plants , plus it was in Thailand I really don`t think that they need any canna hybrid . Now that I`ve read more of it apparently canna it`s used for father day in Thailand....plus i`ve got the suspecious that they are more of water canna or similar , all in bloom now just before the dry season start .

• SiXpence

SiXpence Gardener

Ratings:
        +47
        Roll on Spring after seeing those beauties,

I hope to start really early this year with my Cannas.

Thanks for sharing your Images Sal!

• PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +4,015
        Sal - lovely pictures of Cannas. But what is the blue flower with pea like leaves?

• sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,998
        The blue pea is a clitoria ternatea , seen them in Thailand , the flower is used for cooking , but what I saw over there is used as a color combination on cannas .........I think because they are flowering at the same time .
        A really stunning combination of bright blue on yellow canna.
        Got both seeds will deftnely try .

• Like Like x 1
        • SiXpence

SiXpence Gardener

Ratings:
          +47
          Harry,

Those seedlings look fantastic, and so clean too.

Well done!

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,593
          which are the hardiest canna? .... I have to plant 2, and was hoping to use ones with reddish leaves ... My client won't lift them to overwinter, and they will be planted in Cambridge in a sunny position against the house wall

• SiXpence

SiXpence Gardener

Ratings:
          +47
          This may help Dim,

Cannas | Cold Hardy Tropicals

I grew (late) Tropicana. It was still sending out new rollers in late October. I don't know how long it would have lasted in the snow and frost. Then again our area has'nt really had much of a winter.

• Like Like x 1
          • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,593
            thanks for that .... will have a close look

the ones that I have earmarked so far are canna Australia, Canna Durban and Canna Pacific beauty (this one has greyish leaves) ....

not sure of the hardiness though, but whichever I choose, I will prepare large planting holes and use lots of perlite to make it as free draining as possible .... from what I have read, it's not the cold that effects them in winter, it's the wetness?

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,593
            Tropicanna looks good and seems to be on of the hardier ones around .... I may plant these together with the durban or australia

PlantFiles: Detailed information on Canna Lily Canna x generalis 'Tropicanna'

quite a few people in the colder areas comment favourably on the hardiness (read the comments at the bottom of the page) ... seems one has to be carefull when buying these, as some are labeled as tropicana which are not the same as the trpoicanna (two n's) .... also have to seek virus free ones

• SiXpence

SiXpence Gardener

Ratings:
            +47
            Just check they have no virus Dim,

Saying/writing 'roller' has some folk with nervous jitters.

Identifying and Treating Canna Lily Diseases | DoItYourself.com

Thanks for your link Dim!

I just looked for Roller, its called the Canna Leaf Roller.

Disease

Canna are remarkably free of disease, compared to many genera. However, they may fall victim to canna rust, a fungus resulting in orange spots on the plant's leaves, caused by over moist soil. Cannas are also susceptible to certain plant viruses, some of which are Canna specific viruses, which may result in spotted or streaked leaves, in a mild form, but can finally result in stunted growth and twisted and distorted blooms and foliage.[19]
            The flowers are sometimes affected by a grey, fuzzy mold called Botrytis. Under humid conditions it is often found growing on the older flowers. Treatment is to simply remove the old flowers, so the mold does not spread to the new flowers.

• Like Like x 1
            • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
              Ratings:
              +6,654
              And we're off.....

.....finally got round to sitting down with my several varieties of Canna seed, a file and a pair of pliers......and just a few minutes later they're all in soak now for 24-48hrs before sowing...:yess: :D

Tomorrow I will check the health of my stored Canna Altensteinnii rhizomes in the shed, hopefully some have survived the recent cold snap..fingers crossed..:sunny: