Canna ~2013~

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by HarryS, Jan 15, 2013.

1. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I do agree with you all about the fact that seeds can be dead when you buy them. From what I have read, it seems that a lot of normal hardy perennial seeds have a reasonable storage time, But that many tropical plant seeds need to be fresh.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Do you reckon that is true of Cannas? I'm thinking their thick-skin would help them remain viable for some years?

What about if the mail packet got cold in an airplane on its way over here? Is that a risk with any other seed we are buying from, say, USA in mid-Winter? Or is cargo-hold heated enough? and the depot at the airport too?? Irradiated by customs perhaps?

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I read the statement about tropical seeds needing to be fresh in a book on tropical plants. And it makes sense. In the tropics, seeds often don't need to lie around for long periods untill the weather warms up, as they do in this country.

However it certainly isn't true for all tender plants. A friend, who runs a Salvia nursery in the States, has stated that Salvia seeds will be viable for at least 10 years, even when stored at (US) room temperature. I also read recently about someone who sowed some Canarina canariensis that had been in a drawer in a desk for 15 years or more. They all germinated. And I suspect that Canna comes in that category as well - with their thick skin. However I bought some C. altensteinii recently from Chilterns and they said "these have just come out of a fridge and should be sown as soon as they are received". I didn't open the packet for a couple of months and see these instructions - 2 out of 6 germinated compared with 10 out of 12 for C. indica. But that is not a very scientific experiment.

I don't know about a plane flight, but I suspect they don't irradiate. That would kill all manner of electronic and photographic material.

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Yes, I'm sure you are right about irradiating. I wonder how much cold Canna seeds can tolerate? Again I fell that their thick skin should help ?

I could chuck some in the freezer for a week and see how many/few then germinate

5. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    The first Cannas I ever grew were C.altensteinii from Chiltern seeds about 9 years ago (the photo on their website is my original plant :)) when I was living with my parents; I collected a lot of seed from it back then and saved them in an air tight container, originally they were in a fridge and then they were just in a drawer in my mums shed for years.

2 years ago my mum found them and brought them to me and I thought I'd try germinating them, nothing to lose, and out of 10 seeds sown they all germinated quickly. I still have some of them now and have sown 3 seed this year and 2 have popped up. So these seeds haven't had the best storage conditions, other than being in an air tight tub and they are still viable after almost 10 years!!!:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 4
    • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,015
      That's interesting Bilbo, although that's what I would expect. So I was surprised to learn that Chilterns kept their altensteinii in the fridge - they don't do that with indica.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      Maybe they only do that after 10 years? :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 1
      • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +4,015
        As I am sure you know - Chilterns have moved and the next generation has taken over. So I suspect their altensteinii approach is a policy change due to new management. But I presume that they had some basis to make that decision.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,668
        Chilterns took 4 weeks to deliver my order (placed Start of Feb, their "busy time of year") It does say that on their checkout page (if you bother to read the details ...) and has now reduced to 3 weeks ... clearly their busy season, but 3-4 weeks delivery at this time of year is the difference between sowing on time and seriously late!

I also placed order with Nicky's Nursery at the same time which arrived in a couple of days ... either Nicky's Nursery is about to go bust because they are not getting any new orders ... or they've tooled up for the busy period and will be keeping their customers loyalty next year. I reckon its the latter ...

By the by, looking at ordering some more seeds (am I MAD !!) over the weekend it seems that Plant World Seeds have a 3-for-2 offer (maybe they always have had?). There were a couple of things where I wanted some "bulk" and the normal packet size of 10 - 20 seeds was not going to give me enough, whereas 3 packets, for the price of 2, was definitely good value :)

• Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
        Ratings:
        +6,654
        Back to Karchesky; I messaged Alice this morning about Mowgley's plight and she has replied this afternoon :dbgrtmb:, she explained that some of their seed is supplied from outside sources and some is from their own plants but they have had no problem germinating the same seed that was from the same batch as sent to Mowgley??? She also said that maybe they were exposed to something in transit that may have effected them but was only summising as its impossible to tell.

She did say that she's had email conversation with Mowgley and that a replacement batch of seed is in transit, so that's good :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 2
        • mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
          Ratings:
          +6,626
          Messaged karchesky canna through Facebook got this reply

Karchesky Canna, Brugmansia, and More
          I grow all my seeds myself, and have never had a problem with them. I have hardly ever had anyone tell me the seeds don't grow. All I can figure is something must have happened with them.The Skyhawk were harvested fresh and you got the only ones I had in summer. I do not have more of those, but I will send you the others again .. if you wish.
          Saturday at 07:31 ยท Like

Sean Walker That would be great Alice if you could. I'm wasn't implying your seeds weren't fresh! I just don't understand why they haven't come up. That's just gardening I suppose

Not had a reply since but not really that concerned
          I believe that this is a good company
          Got plenty growing at the moment :ThankYou:

• Like Like x 1
          • sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,998
            It seam like a very professional person , I now wonder if the seeds have been through some sort of x ray , that made them sterile ......overall I was think that Karchesky must have used other supplyer .

• Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
            Ratings:
            +12,517
            That's how I bought mine from them, 3 for 2, a couple of months ago...

• Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
            Ratings:
            +6,654
            They've always had that offer for as long as I've used them :) :dbgrtmb:

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +92,088
            Just like to say I came across an old 35mm film case full of canna seed from the 1980s last year.
            I sowed a good few and nothing showed.
            Maybe some canna seed keeps longer than others.
            But I bet at Wakehurst they have all manner of tropical seed stored at very low temperatures.
            Mine was in a drawer in the greenhouse, so not likely to be viable after all those years.
            Constant cool temperatures, where there is no fluctuation, could be the answer to keeping viability, as with these conditions you dont get humidity build up, which is probably the thing that lowers viability rather than actual temperature.