Canna Selection Advice

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by HarryS, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Whats the general rule for planting out "tubers" of established Cannas which ahve been overwintered?

Will I need to wait for 1st June to be sure we are past any cold weather? or are they not fussy about having at 10C minimum (like Tomatoes and Cucumbers etc.)

I've only got seed-raised plants, so beginning of June is fine this year, but I might struggle in future years to bring-on the 100 or more Cannas I have if I have to keep them protected until 1st June !

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,679
    You can plant out any time after the last frost, its just better if you can grow on a bit longer under cover or potted to get early flowers.

Back in the mild winters I used to leave them in the ground until Feb, then dig a few up to divide and bring on in the greenhouse to flower earlier.

I found they were overwintering in the ground OK back then, but would not flower until mid august if just left to grow in-situ.

• Like Like x 1
    • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,015
      Pete - how do you coax them back to life after the winter. Do you let them produce shoots first and them water, or water a bit when they have no shoots. I grew a few from seed last year, and kept them frost free over the winter, but they haven't produced any shoots. I suspect that I have overwatered them, though I tried hard not too. The rhizomes still appear to be firm, but I suspect that they are gonners.

Your Cleopatra is going great guns and I would hate to lose it, and I don't want to lose my C. tuerckheimii, which is already huge.

The problem must be similar to Dahlias - but I don't seem to have any trouble with them.

• pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +91,679
      Difficult to say Peter, they should actually start to move even without water as the temperature rises, if they are alive.

With the winters we have been having recently I'm coming round to the idea that you you need to bring them under cover early, whilst in full leaf.
      Its only that way that you can dry them off properly.

A soaking wet root ball cut back and brought into the greenhouse during Nov is likely to rot.

I'm thinking yours should be shooting now Peter, if alive, but dont give up on them just yet.

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,838
      I do as you advise, Pete, and lift them out of the pots to check on them. I'll post pics as soon as they're in full leaf.:D Thanks for the advice.:thumbsup:

• PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,015
      Thanks Pete for the info. Thats a good idea of letting them dry out slowly - still with their foliage.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
      +100,838
      Oh, b......., I had a gentle poke around the pots where the Cannas weren't showing and managed to knock a shoot off a Ambassodor Canna that was just underneath the surface of the compost.:rolleyespink::what::mad:
      I'm hoping that there's another shoot coming up from the same plant and that I haven't set it back too much. I checked a second pot and found another shoot just under the surface, so there is movement albeit slow. Still, Oh, B..........!!!!

• pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +91,679
      Sorry Armandii, if it was my suggestion, at least you know they are alive.

• Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
      Ratings:
      +6,654
      I've got some C.altensteinii ready to go out, they are in pots in the bottom of "blow away" greenhouse, they are put out every day to harden off and have also stayed out a couple of nights when the temp was mild. They are about 12-18" now so will be planted out in another week or so.

I grew these in a very large pot a few years ago and when it finished flowereing and I'd got some seed from it (late august/early september) I reduced watering and let it dry out and by early October-ish it was dry and the foilage was yellowing off. I moved it under cover then before the temp dropped too much or it got too wet from the autumn/winter weather.

The following spring it started in to growth without watering; I began to water a little when there were several 1-2" shoots.

With the really cold winter last year even my 'dry' pot of these; wrapped in fleece, straw etc bit the dust. Have to make an extra effort this time to get them through......

• Like Like x 1
      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,838
        Naah, Pete, your advice was good it was my clumsiness that knocked the shoot off:what: I should have been more gentle when being gentle:cry3::D

• PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +4,015
        Bilbo - thanks for that info. I am tempted to not water, in the spring, until the rhizome has put out some shoots. After all, it can't really use any water until there is some growth to exhale moisture.

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +23,091
        I'm not sure if it was on here or another forum but I saw a photo of Canna growing in a pond somewhere. I would like to try some in my small pond.

Any ideas anyone?

• Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
        Ratings:
        +6,654
        Canna glauca and its hybrids are the ones to try, they are the true water cannas, in theory though most cannas could be tried in a pond when they're in full growth as they consume so much water :)

• Informative Informative x 3
        • Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +91,679
          I've grown them in my pond, just in pots though.
          They are slow starting, probably because the water needs to warm up.
          So I put an established plant into the pond late June.

I've only tried a couple, both yellow flowered, one was from the seed Sal brought back from Thailand.
          The first one I tried was a yellow spotted variety, but I cant remember the name.

Certainly saves having to water them.

• Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,998
            LongK I`ve got they thai cannas and the stuttgards both in water , but and say but !!!!! they don`t grow as fast as the one in the soil so you`ll may end up with a tiny canna by the end of the season and as Pete say I`ve not dared to leave them in water too cold ....