Canna

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Bob, Aug 2, 2009.

1. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Just to add to this Canna thread, that for the first time I have grown some from seed. Canna tropicana from Jungle Seeds. I sowed them on 30 Jan in a heated propagator in a light box. The first ones germinated after 8 days, and so far I have 75% germination rate. They are now looking really healthy at about an inch high. They are looking rather like the young Tulip shoots I have in pots outside. I had no idea they were so easy. I just hope that they will flower this year. I understand they should.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,679
    I'm sure they will flower this year Peter just as long as you can keep them moving.

Some seed of canna is easier than others so I'am told, but I cant say that up to now ,(fingers crossed), I've ever had any trouble germinating them.

"Tropicana", used to be a name that the red leaved "phasion" or "durban" were sold under, I believe.
    Are they seed from this variety do you know?

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Pete, they are just called Canna tropicana series red. There is a pink, white and yellow series as well. Having Googled a bit more, I think you are right - also known as Canna 'Durban Orange'. It is described as one of the few patented Cannas, which implies a highly cultivated strain.

A superb strain of seed raised Canna. In the first year they start flowering from June, given an early sowing in Jan to Feb. Plus they are quickly clump forming to 8 or 10 flowering shoots by the end of the first season! Semi dwarf to 3ft and ideal for borders or pots. The big attraction is that they are Canna virus free and the colour range is excellent. We were very impressed in our 2006 seed trials. Easy germination.

I tried Canna from tubers a couple of times before, but had no success. Only about 2 out of 8 tubers grew, and I didn't manage to overwinter either of those. I suspect it is me! - but it could be that Yorkshire is not tropical enough. :D

4. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    So my Zantedeschia :thumb: is growing again and I bought another one which is purple ,:rotfl:

I have a part of my garden which has water draining through when the weather is wet, it runs from in on the left side and out on the right and is probably 2/3ft at the widest part
    http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/picture.php?albumid=63&pictureid=308

This is an old pic it is all gravelled now as the grass was so wet I could not cut it,
    The apple tree on the right is right at the edge of the wet area and everything beyond is now in pots until it meets the slope.

So I was considering making a bog type area on the right it wouldnt be too big, If I plant the two aforementioned would I need to lift them in the winter

5. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,441
    Pam, the purple one, possibly a variety of Zantedeschia Rehmannii, will need to be lifted in the autumn as they are not fully hardy, I have a purple/white one 'Picasso' which I lift and keep dry during winter. I am not sure of your first one, is it the common white arum Easter Lily Zantedeschia Aethiopica?

6. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    I don`t think its that one simply because its not very well along yet so must flower later, It is still in the same pot as last year and came through the winter o.k. :thmb:

So if I do make some sort of bog garden area, I think I would try and bury them in pots so I can lift them in the winter, unless they get too big to lift. :cnfs: