Canna's on the move

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Bilbo675, May 31, 2011.

1. davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
    +257
    I like to get my Cannas in before bad weather sets in .. I usually divide mine as I lift, cut back old foliage then repot into six inch pots and keep just moist in the greenhouse over winter ..
    Most of mine are un-named but I do have a large grower called Canna Muscafolia 'grande', this usually reaches 7/8ft but never flowers .as the name suggests it has large banana like leaves which are bronzy red .

Dave .

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Well, I've brought all but two of my Cannas back into the Greenhouse as the last few days have turned the leaves limp. The other two Cannas are still going strong so I'll leave them a little while longer.:D

3. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    Hi Sal, if you look at Wiki for Canna tuerckheimii, altensteinii is listed as a synonym so it's either the same or very similar to the point it's hard to tell the two apart...

Personally, although the leaves look the same I feel the difference comes in the flower, altensteinii has a tighter light orange flower where as tuerckheimii seems looser and darker orange, almost red..

Either way I grew altensteinii to 10-11ft from seed this year and it is described as being able to reach 15-16ft in prime conditions, which I can easily believe especially if coming from an over wintered rhizome...:thumb:

If I manage to successfully overwinter mine I'll have about 20 rhizomes of various sizes as the plants had already divided when I lifted them so will have some spare in the spring to donate if anyone's interested, fingers crossed I get it right this time :thumb:

4. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Thank you all , usually this kind of canna will not flower easy , so I will go for the foliage and that looking really good to me. Many of my cannas have failed to flowering due of a cold summer , so I`m looking for a striking foliage , possibly for seeds (better in large number ) .
    already got Muscafolia 'grande' , bengal tiger, edilus , some dark leaves and got few wild indica red collected from a carabbian holiday.

5. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    The 'altensteinii' that I have grown this year has flowered prolifically from early August right up to when I lifted them last week, I managed to get seed from the first batch of flowers but the later ones didn't have time to produce mature seed :thumb:

6. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Hi Bilbo
    both tuerckheimii and altensteinii are original from Belize , I rekon they are almost the same , I will try tuerckheimii , seen some seeds at jungle seed for £1.99 , can I ask you when did you start your first batch? did you chip the seeds?

7. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    Hi Sal, yes I chipped my seed, well filed them; I held them with a small pair of pliers and then used a metal file to take some of the coating off, being careful not to damage the white inner. I found this a very easy and quick technique; they were then soaked for 24-48 hours and then sown.

I started them in late Feb in a heated propergater, just with gentle heat (I have previously germinated them on a warm windowsill with no problems too), I've always managed to get near 100% germination doing this.

This year I had 10-12" plants in the cold greenhouse outside by April and then they were planted out by late May.

:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,248
      I used exactly the same method as Bilbo Sal . I placed the seed on a small pillar of Blue-Tak and then lightly gripped them in the round portion of the pliers , so half of the seed was exposed. Then as Bilbo did , I used a small round file to just break the coat and expose 3- 5 mm of the white inner . Note Canna seeds are just a touch softer than diamond !:D So it does take a bit to get thru the coat . A soak in water for a day or so then into compost with a cover of vermiculite . They germinated in 5 - 6 days. I started them late January and had flowers by the end of june. :dbgrtmb:
      Pic shows them after 7 days just before they came off the propagator. 5 out of the 6 germinated
      [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,838
        This is what I like about Gardeners Corner, I'm learning all the time. I've actually got some seeds from this years plants. I know nothing about this area so I take it if I follow what you both been doing I don't sow until February???:scratch::D:DOH:

• HarryS

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,248
        Armandii you must sow on january 28th , by the light of the moon , before the cock crows three times :stirpot::stirpot::stirpot:

I think late January to mid Feb is OK .

• Like Like x 2
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,838
          Thanks Harry, I'll try the former suggestion first, but what happens if there's no moon, or the Cockerel won't crow..........will that cock it up:scratch::D

If that fails I try the second method.:D

I know it's early but I've just ordered Cannas Durban, Pretoria, Richard Wallace, Musifolia, and Ambassadour. Any advice on those would be greatly appreciated, Guys and Gals!:D

• Like Like x 1
          • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
            Ratings:
            +6,654
            Hi Armandii, a little googling came up with this;

C.Durban and C.Pretoria are essentially the same plant, they have the same flower but different leaves.

C.Richard Wallace is possibly hardier than most and; according to some, "survived several very hard winters for us under a minimal of cover".

C.Musifolia is grown for its leaves rather than flowers.

C.Ambassadour is possibly the best white flowered canna, rare until recently.

Germination wise I believe they all should be treated the same way to get them going in the new year (late January-mid Feb), just make sure you'll have the space for numerous good sized plants to be kept undercover until until all risk of frost has passed. Some varieties potentially may be a good 24-36" tall by the time they're planted out; this is dependant of course on their ultimate height.

Not that early either to be ordering seed (if they are seed opposed to rhizomes), I've already got some seed too, in the fridge ready and waiting; to be honest I buy seed at any time of the year and if it's not the right time to sow I pop it in the fridge until it is :D

Hope this helps a little :thumb:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,838
            Hi Bilbo, thanks for the reply. That was just the advice I was looking, and yes it is seed that I ordered. I've actually converted a spare room with plenty of light to shelter my existing Cannas, Yara, Florence Vaughan, Wyoming, King Humbert, Inferno, Ambassador. I've had King Humbert for two seasons but the rest for only this season. Growing Cannas by seed is a new experience for me which is why I'm very appreciative of any good advice offered.

I think my main problem is the naming confusion with Cannas. I know there is some confusion with less exotic plant names but Cannas seems to be a right old minefield. Ambassador and Ambassadour are two examples, two very different plants with two very similar names. Durban is also known as Phasion and Tropicanna. Pretoira has Bengal Tiger, Panache as alternative names. Cleopatra is also known Spanish Emblem, or Yellow Humbert. Bankok has Striped Beauty, Christ's Light, King of Siam, Nirvana, Minerva as other names and the list of other Cannas with alternative names just goes on and on. Really confusing!!

• HarryS

Retired
            Ratings:
            +16,248
          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,838
            I confess I haven't looked at that Thread yet, Harry, but that's my next move.:D There's no howling at the Moon in it, is there:scratch::heehee::D