Canon lenses

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by Sheal, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Sorry for being thick. What part am I missing? Or are you just refering to the fact that I have a low image resolution in my viewfinder?

(Undeniably the preview screen is much MUCH higher resolution ... but I choose to use the viewfinder nonetheless so it is "enough" for my purposes)

• Like Like x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,838
      Unfortunately, no EVF is designed to give you 100% of the image, I think 92% is probably the best and some will give less.:dunno::snork:

Now that I'm looking forward to:thumbsup::snork:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
      +100,838
      I would think that "thick" is the very last description that anyone would use for you, my friend.:snork:
      Low resolution refers to the clarity and brightness of the EVF and not to the area it covers. But due to the limitations in technology, cost, etc the EVF does not see all the image that the sensor is.:dunno:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      Now I got it :phew:

I'm going to check that out best as I can, 'coz I always assumed I was seeing 100% height x width of the final image in my viewfinder.

Mind you ... maybe 90-something-% will do for me :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        My non-SLR camera's EVF is supposed to have 100% coverage and a decent resolution

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,838
        Well, I assure you that EVF do not have 100% coverage of what the lens is seeing, Scrungee, but I think we should just enjoy the cameras we've got!!:dunno::snork:

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +53,823
        My son has got back to me. Armandii, he agrees with you that the Sigma lens is the way to go. :) However I won't be paying British prices new or second hand. The lens is available new for around £400 in America which is cheaper than second hand here, so I'm now getting my son to check out the second hand prices. I'll let you know what he comes up with. :)

• Like Like x 2
        • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
          Ratings:
          +3,702
          My biggest lens or longest reach is 300mm, I very seldom need that much for my landscapes, probably over a year since I last used it.

Having said that when I used to be more active on Photo sites the Sigma (or Bigma as Dave called it, and so do many others) was the lens of choice for the 500mm peeps.

Its been a long time since I looked at converters too, but from memory I disliked the thought that an F4 lens would end up being an F8, and an F2 lens would become an F4.

I would not go for a Prime lens as your stuck at that focal length, but opt for a tele, so the Bigma fits that well.

Two things spring to mind with reference to using it, yes it is heavy due to all that glass and as Mandi said, a UV filter in front of it or replacing the lens cap between shots (I do the latter on all my lens) is advisable. Use of a bean bag to help steady the lens for longer shots, ie place bean bag on some soilid structure, rest lens on bag OR use a monopod, as it suggests a monopod is a one legged tripod that doubles as a walking stick, quicker and easier to set up for those quickfire wildlife shots.

I would fully recommend trying a lens on your camera in a shop if you can and also trying the monopod too. I appreciate it might be difficult on the IOM though so would try posting on a IOM community see if another tog could help you out and let you try the lens on your cam under supervision, even better if they have a monopod too!

Sorry I can not help any further.

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +53,823
            Thanks Steve, what you have said has been helpful and good ideas regarding trying things out. :) I find that my 250mm lens is okay for landscapes too but it isn't enough for wildlife, particularly sea birds.

We have just one camera shop left here on the island and being locally owned I may be able to take advantage and try out items there. :)

• Like Like x 1
            • ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,838
              I actually managed to buy a Bigma in really mint condition for a lot less than £400 but I think I was very lucky to find quite a few for sale.:dunno::snork:

I take it the IOM Tax set up is different from the UK as if you buy from abroad to get things cheaper the UK Tax people slap an import tax on it making it just as expensive, if not more, as buying it in the UK!:gaah::coffee:

Great practical advice, Sheal.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +53,823
              That was a lucky find Armandii, the ones I've seen seem to be around £600 at the moment. But as I said I'm in no rush and if I can get a good deal via America, then that's the way to go! :)

Yes the tax situation is different here but we'd still have to pay import tax, that wouldn't be a problem for me as I wouldn't be buying direct. If you remember my son lives there, so he would buy it for me and send it 'privately'.

• Like Like x 1
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,838
                There's always a way around the system!!:thumbsup::snork:

• Agree Agree x 1
                • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +53,823
                  Just an update. My son hasn't replied to me about the 500mm lens. Knowing my children as I do, I have a feeling they're plotting, so does my other half. I have a landmark birthday in June, so it could be a long wait. Meanwhile I will email him again and see what response I get, if any! :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
                  • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                    +100,838
                    Well, if it's your 21st Birthday in June, Sheal, you can bet your boots that they're plotting!!!:heehee:

• Like Like x 2
                    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +53,823
                      Oh how I wish it was! Ermmm just a thought.....that would make my children older than me! :heehee:

• Like Like x 2