Cat Deterrent Talk.? All post of this nature in this thread only.. Humane talk only please.!

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Marley Farley, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Februarysgirl

Februarysgirl Gardener

Ratings:
    +262
    @Panda2 When I was looking at what gravel to get for my garden, I asked the supplier about what cats would be least likely to use as a litter tray. She said either large slate or large angular gravel because they dislike the feel of it on their paws. I went for large angular gravel and to date, no one's tried to use it as a litter tray and cats use the raised beds to get about the garden as they hate walking on it.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Panda2

Panda2 Gardener

Ratings:
      +139
      @Februarysgirl
      I just tried them in certain beds around plants years ago & they have worked but if smaller or different ones do as well better still. I haven’t used them on paths, my neighbour’s cat was using any exposed earth & a newly arrived one the lawn. I’m gradually getting rid of the cobbles now I have the deterrents & I have a large flower bed where plants have died down that has been left alone so I’m keeping my fingers crossed and batteries charged :)

• KT53

KT53 Gardener

Retired and clapped out.
      Ratings:
      +456
      I haven't read the whole thread so apologies if these have already been suggested or are impractical due to the area to be protected. Holly leaves/branches laid over the borders would discourage their activities.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
        Ratings:
        +4,198
        The cats round here muct be made of stronger stuff. They laugh at bits of spiky holly or berberis. I've watched them perch on the edge of beds with those in them.
        The only thing that works for me is the water scarecrow, but they freeze and burst quite easily, so they're redundant for many months.
        I've tried the sensors, and I thought they were doing a decent job, but they don't work for persistent offenders, and we have several of those.

Even larger gravel doesn't always work either. I have 20mm coarse gravel.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +122,174
        Would all newcomers please read the first post in this thread.

This is an extract from it:-

So... We still take a "no tolerance" stance if posts are of inhumane, injurious ...

• Agree Agree x 4
        • Februarysgirl

Februarysgirl Gardener

Ratings:
          +262
          @Panda2 I have the gravel on the path between my raised beds, not on my raised beds themselves. I didn't want to be walking in cat mess! I did put some stepping stones down last year so they walk around the garden using those as well as the raised beds. It's actually quite cute to see them use them. I have large bark chips on the raised beds which doesn't eliminate the cat mess problem but it does seem to reduce it. I don't think the cats find it as easy to cover over the evidence with large bark chips so they don't bother. The shrubs and perennials filling out has also made a difference. Unfortunately, pruning and clearing as well as topping the beds up with nice fresh topsoil has attracted unwanted attention. Once I get the new batch of bark chippings on and the plants start filling out again, the beds should prove less attractive. I'm quite happy for the cats to come in the garden, it's just the mess I'm less happy with!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
        • Mrs. B.

Mrs. B. Gardener

Ratings:
          +568
          Not sure if it'll help anyone, but..
          I moved house once and dug out the edges of the lawn to prepare. I didn't realise about 15 of my neighbours had cats, and I wondered where all the 'clay soil' had come from..:biggrin:
          I planted the borders up and put marigolds in every space, as apparently cats don't like the scent, which the slugs and snails ate within a week. As the plants filled out, the cats just stopped coming.
          So that may be an option for some people? Groundcover like ajuga may work as a filler.

• Funny Funny x 1
          • Panda2

Panda2 Gardener

Ratings:
            +139
            One of my visitors also used to like the top of plants. Not the nicest thing to notice perched on top of the box ball when opening your front door to a caller :)

• Funny Funny x 1
            • Mrs. B.

Mrs. B. Gardener

Ratings:
              +568
              That's got to have been the King Tom of the area! That's hilarious! :heehee:

• Agree Agree x 1