Catalpa (Indian Bean Tree)

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Victoria, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,159
    Hi M-L! I know the Bauhinia as the Orchid Tree. When we go to the IoW in October to clear out our apartment, we plan on bringing back two HUGE concrete planters, round with an upwards flute. I don't know their capacity but must be 70cm across so I shall wait till then. It would also be a better time for planting what with no hope of rain now till October / November!

The Albizias are in all their glory here at the moment, too. It's a pleasure living where so many beautiful trees and shrubs grow .... of course, the Oleander are also giving quite a show.

2. Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    LOL We have a few Oleanders, Red Pink and White and they are soaking up this heat and look superb ... by contrast the potted plants, surfinas, petunias etc... (geraniums apart) on the terrace (south facing !!) are struggling despite my efforts to keep them quenched !! and our tomatoes are actually COOKING on the vines ..... 36�° today and no let up .....

The containers you refer to sound ideal ...and here any planting would have to be done end of October beginning November .....off to have a cooooooool shower now ! :cool: M-L

3. rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +434
    [​IMG]
    A 25 year old Catalpa tree in full blossom.

4. rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +434
    [​IMG]
    Close up of the flower it has a wonderful perfume
    this was grown on clay soil.

5. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,159
    That's absolutely beautiful, Rosie, and that it's perfumed, too! [​IMG] Is it in your garden?

Do you breed shihtzus? They are so cute. :D

6. rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +434
    I planted that tree when I lived in Cambridge up till 2 years ago, And yes I used to breed the Camglia Shih Tzus for some 30 years,Just settled now for a quiet life with 2 little dogs and a very small garden.
    I have visited Portugal a few times thought it a wonderful country nice people nice food, stayed mostly in Monte Estoril even took the tram into Lisbon a couple of times tho this was in the 70s
    I suppose it has all changed now like every where else. [​IMG]

7. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,159
    I bet you wish you couldn't have taken the tree with you? If I had a dog, I'd have a Shihtzu, but t'other half thinks they are just dustmops like Yorkies! :( One of the women who run one of the animal charities here, Bridget, had a Shihtzu brought in with a wire tight around it's neck. She nutured it and has kept it (shame :( ) for herself and has named it Midget .. he's just darling! [​IMG]

I'm sure much has changed here since the 70s. We first came in 1983 and have seen vast changes. This is why we have chosen to live in the country where time often still stands still! [​IMG]

8. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    I hope my Bauhinias will keep growing as they are in pots. They are barely 2ft high from seed last october. [​IMG]