Cats

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Mark78, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    It's surprising how harmful a squirt can be....not nice :dh:

:hehe:

2. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    My tuffty has been squirted by next doors hose pipe yet seems happy enough.

We arent talking pressure washer here just a hose pipe, not harmfull at all.

3. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Does this count for squirrels as well.

4. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Lol, I shoot squirrels as i consider them pure vermin.

My air arms 410 is kept by the patio door for the purpose, same for magpies!!!!

Edit, thats if tuffty doesnt catch them as he frequently does.

5. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    a little Squirt with a 4.10.....Oh dear..what next:hehe:

6. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Grey squirels are rats with bushy tails, any true bird lover will understand the damadge they do to the song bird population. And any gardner will atest to the fact they eat tulip bulbs.

7. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Pro said,
    Don't cats do a lot of damage to the bird population as well as making a mess in other peoples garden,squirrels give a lot of pleasure to some people as do cats so you cann't have double standards.

8. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    "Don't cats do a lot of damage to the bird population as well as making a mess in other peoples garden,squirrels give a lot of pleasure to some people as do cats so you can't have double standards."

Not true.

My own cat Tuffty is mainly nocturnal and sleeps during the day when the birds are active, he brings in dozens of mice, squirrels and occasionally small rabbits from the fields and hedges.

My old cat muffin used to kill the occasional bird but this was rare.

Aside from killing the odd song bird cats do not chew facia boards, nest in roof spaces and chew cables. Grey squirrels do and this is not forgetting the fact they are non native and killing off the native red squirrel. This makes them a legitimate pest in the eyes of all but the most befuddled so called 'nature lovers'.

You own a staffie, do you not? Your generalist statement is akin to the analogy that they should be banned due to attacks on children, the reality is somewhat different as you and I know and they can be loving and loyal dogs with good training.

Personally I feed the birds during the winter months as well as doing a fair bit of conversational land management on the grounds of the properties I work in such as hedge laying, lake creation and managment and creation of several wildflower meadows . The benefits of these two activity's farr outweigh the odd bird that my cat kills.

Were I live i am surrounded by houses on one side of the road and fields on the other, we have a very high population of mice once the crops have been cut, all the houses around get them in the roof spaces. i do not thanks to my cat. I would rather keep my House and garden vermin free with a cat and also my gun for squirel than resort to poison for the mice and add to the increasing amount of secondary poisoning that is harming the population of birds of prey.

I like nature, but having been brought up in the countryside I understand the realities of nature.

9. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Pro I think your missing the point people have different likes and dislikes your personal preferences are your own as are your views everyone is entitled to that as long as it doesn't interfere with other people.
    I don't own a staffie but I think they are great dogs (there are no bad dogs only bad owners)
    I don't own a cat (does anybody) mainly because I wouldn't want it to be a nuisance to anyone else,your cat maybe bird friendly I know a lot that are not.k-l
    I am not a squirrel lover because of their destructive nature but lots of people love them.
    You may be better humanely trapping your field mice and releasing them away from your buildings they are an essential part of the food chain for natures predators.

10. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,862
  11. mztrouble

mztrouble Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm with claire on this. I worry about my cat being a nuisance to others but I have a mix of gravel, soil and cat litter in a corner and then clear it regularly and my cat only goes there - it works excellently! For other areas or new plants, I chop off a bit of my spikey rose and criss cross it over we the ground - ace! :-)

12. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    "There are no bad dogs, only bad owners". Probably correct but it probably doesn't help if you (or your child) has been savaged by a dog. They can kill. A cat can only scratch or bite a little bit. Not sure anyone can make a sensible comparison between a potentially lethal wolf and a very small lion.:) Cats are a nuisance, dogs are killers:)

13. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Caj said,
    Don't no where your coming from (or going to) with this one Caj, dogs save lives mountain rescue,eathquake rescue,aid the police to catch criminals,help visually impaired people to live a better life,the list goes on.Like I have said everyone to their own but tiddles should not be allowed to roam and do its mischief on other peoples property.
    Loofah the water spraying cat deterent is ok probably for a small garden I would need about 6 and 6 hoses attatched to cover my area,cann't afford it so not very practicle and it's a bit like gordon brown hitting me with taxes to support him and his cronies lifestyle I am being taxed by cat owners to keep their pets away.

14. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Industrial carpet machinist
    Ratings:
    +77
    I agree 100% , well said.

Cats can carry Tapeworm, Roundworm, Hookworms,
    Feline leukemia virus, FIP (feline Infectious Peritonitus)Leptospirosis,
    Hepatitis, Toxocariasis, Toxoplasmosis, Compylobacter flees.ect; ect;
    If children come into contact with the poo. it can course,
    Liver and lung damage, skin rashes, even blindness, and permanent neurologicl damage.
    As a lot of cat owners do not have them injected, and let them roam, and eat out of
    bins, mice, rats, ect there's no wonder they carry all sorts .
    Thats without the damage they can do to plants ,fish and other property.
    See what happends if one gets into your greenhouse.
    People have cats and leave them out day and night to do and go what and where they want.
    I have no problem with cats from a distance.
    I just dont want them or their mess in my Garden and near my Grand Children. :)

15. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I actually know the damage when one gets in your greenhouse-catastrophe-that's why they have doors. I let my cats out and I won't apologise for it, I like dogs too and have no problem if one bounds over to have a sniff. It's people that concern me.