Cheapest source of propane Gas (Calor, Flowgas, etc.)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Scrungee, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
    Ratings:
    +7,341
    :sad: Thanks Dave
    I think the undersoil heating, and thermostats is the way to go then, and a lot of learning re timing for planting, and space the unit would have to be in my GH but then it would take the space I need for planting

I think I am just too keen to start early, when not realising where I live, not realistically able to plant out until the end of MAY

Since the children left I have two large bedrooms empty, but I just do not feel comfortable putting plants on shelves up there + SWMBO would go Ape :)

The tomatoes I planted out in the greenhouse were doing fine with the constant 14c overnight for four nights, and these past two nights without seem in good nick
    Worrying tonight as at midnight it is 2c in there :sad:

Jack McH

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    For frost-free and a bit of Spring boost its probably the cheapest - its the only thing that is properly thermostatically controllable. If you can afford it get a really good thermostat - the "tighter" it controls the temperature the less energy you will use - standard thermostats will swing several degrees before turning off, which is the same "waste" as your 14C Gas heater when you are only wanting 10C.

Sadly I think a good thermostat will cost £ 50 - you might get a second hand one on eBay though.

"I think I am just too keen to start early, when not realising where I live, not realistically able to plant out until the end of MAY"

How about buying decent sized plants from the Garden Centre each year then? Let them have the cost of raising plants early in the season :) You will have less choice of variety than growing from seed, but hopefully you will still get a variety that is you prefer to Supermarket Toms. Have a look at prices and varieties in the garden centre this year, and use that info to decide next year?

• Like Like x 1
    • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
      Ratings:
      +7,341
      Yes I concede defeat
      The local Garden centre PRIVATE has four inch high toms of about thirty types priced 85p each, I could have bought 24 for the cost of my heater and gas :-)
      (the carboot sales were selling at £1 each gardeners delight and money spinner only)

Maybe when I have had more practice I can be a REAL Gardener, Apart from my Handkerchief size garden :-)

Jack McH

• Like Like x 1
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997

Go Outdoors stores are having another 15% off everything evening on Thursday evening 3rd May 5-8pm for discount card holders, meaning their 19kg Calor cylinder exchanges (normally £30.80), will be only £26.80. http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/product-search/text/"calor+propane+gas" N.B. Not all stores stock the 19Kg cylinders (& even less stock 47Kg), so always check first. You also need to buy one of their £5 'discount cards' which lasts a year, but we use ours quite a bit for outdoor stuff. http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/store-finder

P.S. On a caravan site at the weekend, the charge to private static caravan owners for a replacement 47Kg Calor cyclinder supplied/carried out by the site owners (who will have labour & profit included) was £65, or £1.38/Kg which would be £26.28 for 19Kg.

• Like Like x 1
        • Scrungee

Ratings:
          +28,997
          And today I bought another for the exactly the same price. Nice to see something that hasn't increased in price over the last year.

• moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +9,817
          I haven't had to buy any flo gas this year as I left the end of last season with two full bottles for which I paid £60 inclusive of £5 delivery charge. I hate to think what I would have to pay for them now.

• Yasmin_UK_Gardening

Yasmin_UK_Gardening Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +0
          Hi,

So I found this free gardening magazine online. There's an article about greenhouse gardening this month and its really good!

Read if here: Link removed by admin

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          You didn't need to spam us, you can put a free listing in the business directory.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Like Like x 1
          • Mike Graham

Mike Graham Gardener

Ratings:
            +4
            I pay £1 a litre at a local Gas/Oil supplier, Cooke Fuel Products, I've not seen cheaper than this

• Scrungee

Ratings:
            +28,997
            This company? http://cooke.staging.carboncode.co.uk/products/kerosene/ If so the minimum order quantity might be too much for me
            I also thought there might some difference between paraffin and kerosene that made the latter less suitable for heating greenhouses - I read something in the past about somebody using aviation kerosene for greenhouse heating.

• James Charles24

James Charles24 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +0
            I purchase my gas bottles 47K Propane and 19kg propane from gasbottle dot net they supply Flogas cylinders and are free delivery. 47kg is £51.85 and the 19kg is £23.85 not so cheap on the 13kg Butane but not bad

• Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
            Ratings:
            +4,951
            Did anyone else see 'Man and Beast" last night with Martin Clunes? Showed a family in India who get enough gas to heat/light and cook on, from their 6 cows!! The cow dung is just stirred up with water and bottled, then a pipe is fed into the house. The cow's wee is used as a very effective pesticide, ingenious!! The cows also provide them with milk for drinking and cooking with. No wonder the Cow is sacred there!! :love30:

Hope you don't think I've hijacked your thread but the bit about the gas is kind of relevant!! :)

• Like Like x 1