Cherry Laurel hedge - is it safe?

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Cardiff Garden, Sep 17, 2024.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +93,022
    Most garden centres sell lots of plants which are poisonous.
    Even the fruits on potato plants are poisonous and the leaves to some extent.
    Runner bean roots are another example, red kidney beans are until cooked, rhubarb leaves, the list goes on.

Life is a mine field. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Cardiff Garden

Cardiff Garden Gardener

Ratings:
      +17
      Something which was suggested to me is to alternate hedging plants.

At the moment I have a row of 8 cherry laurels as a screen between my front garden and a public pathway. They are in planters. But I have left some gaps so as to allow the cherry laurels to fill out. But I could possibly put some alternative hedging plants in there. Or even remove one or two cherry laurels and replace them with something else. Perhaps Elaeagnus Ebbingei Compacta which I was looking at today. Unlike cherry laurels they are edible, apparently (the fruits, not sure about the leaves), although they are on the pricey side.

I am assuming Cherry Laurels and Elaeagnus Ebbingei Compacta (or any alternative hedging plant) would be happy in the same planter? I think the Elaeagnus Ebbingei Compacta has the benefit of balancing nitrogen in the soil for the other plants in the planter.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2024 at 1:51 AM
    • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
      Ratings:
      +5,097
      Trying to squeeze other hedging plants into spaces between cherry laurels in a container just risks compromising all the plants.
      Different in the ground, with a well prepped site and suitable conditions for them all to thrive.

• Like Like x 1