1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Chickens.

Discussion in 'Livestock' started by rustyroots, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,577
    Your sense of humour seems to be suffering a bit - I think you have been cooped up too long....... ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,946
      Maybe I did miss one in the coop. It the only logical explanation really :th scifD36:. Only had one egg today, that makes a dozen in 2 days. Omelette for tea tomorrow me thinks.:dbgrtmb:

Rusty

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Don't they taste lovely too Rusty:wub2:...

I really must get more chooks,I'm down to three ,never had so few and I'm lucky if I get enough eggs to make a sponge cake.My chooks are older now,one's on a moult and the other two are menopausal so egg laying is a bit hit and miss.:rolleyespink:

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +14,332
        Don't know what's going on with ours. Seven 2-year olds with only one moulting, three new just-past-POL but only two or three eggs a day! Must be a French work-to-rule month:dunno:
        It's a fact that none of them have ever laid on a Sunday.....vive le weekend:chicken:

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        So your chooks take the 'day of rest' literally Noisette :biggrin:

• noisette47

Ratings:
        +14,332
        Oh yes.......Sundays are verrry quiet here;)

• rustyroots

Ratings:
        +2,946
        My wife got home early tonight and did the dinner, so no omelette. I have had another 3 eggs today, so I may have one for supper. In answer to your question lolimac, I cannot believe how much tastier they are than shop bought ones.

Rusty

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,997
          The colour of the yolks is also normally fantastic compared to cheapo supermarket eggs.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • fileyboy

fileyboy Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +421
            Got the allotment 9 moved yesterday now in resident at the daughter's.Myself and the granddaughter had to put them to bed last night as it came dark fast with the weather.After we got them in the hut granddaughter had to go in and stroke them to help them settle and make them feel:sign0016: she will be giving them their names this weekend.
            there are 5 warren 2 small black and white speckled ones (lovely looking birds) and 2 black ones,sorry but don't know what breeds

• Like Like x 5
            • rustyroots

Ratings:
              +2,946
              Hi All,

I need some egg recipes, I'm starting to get bored of omelettes. Have any of you got any nice recipes? I have found some online, but thought I would ask other people who have chickens themselves. I have tried to find the recipes forum on here, but cannot seem to find it.

Rusty

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
              +28,997
              • Like Like x 1
                Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
              • noisette47

Ratings:
                +14,332
                Hi Rusty, Here's one of my favourite 'egg surplus' recipes....
                Hard boil 2 or 3 eggs per person, shell under cold water, cut in half lengthwise and arrange cut side up in a shallow oven dish. Gently fry plenty of chopped, tinned mushrooms with garlic, then add a handful of fresh, chopped parsley and take off the heat. Sprinkle the mushroom mixture over the eggs. Make a cheese sauce (or cheat with a packet) and pour over the egg/ mushrooms then bake in the oven for 25 minutes @ 180C
                The original recipe involved mixing the cooked yolks of the eggs with the mushroom mixture, then re-stuffing the whites before layering in the oven dish, but I'm with Joan Rivers on that one! Life's too short.....;-)
                Another good way of using eggs, especially for a posh starter, is to line oval moulds with cling-film, cut sliced ham into 1 1/2" wide strips, arrange one or two strips round the sides of the moulds. Make up some aspic jelly (It's sold in sachets in the supermarkets here..not sure about the UK?)
                pour a 1/2" layer of jelly into each mould and chill in the fridge for 15 mins (the moulds, that is :biggrin:). Place half a hard-boiled egg cut-side down in each mould, with small gherkins or sprigs of tarragon or parsley, then top up with the rest of the liquid jelly. Put back in the fridge for at least an hour. To turn out, put moulds on a baking tray of hot water for just a few seconds, hold a small plate over the mould, turn over, when the 'jelly' drops onto the plate peel off the cling-film and there you are...:)

• rustyroots

Ratings:
                +2,946
                Hi All,

Help needed. I checked on the chickens this morning and all seemed well, three were waiting at the door as usual and one was in the coop, I thought laying. I have just been down to give them some corn and collect the eggs and the three were waiting at the door and the one was in the coop again. When I scattered the corn she fell out of the coop onto the floor. She just lay there moving her head to get the corn. I have checked her over, but cannot see any obvious signs of damage. She is flapping her wings, but it seems her legs are not functioning. I have put her in the coop on the roost, but she has immediately jumped onto the floor and stayed there. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Do you think that this is terminal? What do I need to do?

Rusty

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                Sorry to hear that Rusty :sad:

We need Nurse @Lolimac

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                Sorry to hear this Rusty:sad:...

I've not had any experience of this ,sorry.Has she completely lost the use of her legs?Is there a chance you could quarantine her over night while you could maybe get to see a vet tomorrow?

There are so many Chicken diseases and problems and they're such hard creatures even for vets to diagnose as they can hide a lot of illnesses so well...

Don't be alarmed but take a look at 'Mareks Disease'.They're such a worry when they're ill but it's always worth looking up all the ailments for future reference:blue thumb:
                Keep us posted,hope you get on OK:fingers crossed: