Child killer eligible for parole

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by HYDROGEN86, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HYDROGEN86

HYDROGEN86 Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +883
    Well you could always start your own petetion:

"stop people from starting petitions that prevent child killing rapists from getting parole hearings" ;)

2. Robajobs

Robajobs I ♥ Organic manure and fine Iranian lagers

One armed Lion Tamer. I'm still learning the Job.
    Ratings:
    +489
    He should have been dangling from a rope nine feet above the ground. Scum like him are better off dead.

• Like Like x 3
    • catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
      Ratings:
      +2,250
      There shouldn't even be any QUESTION of him being released!! Signed quite happily.

• Like Like x 1
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        That is quite unfair! :nonofinger: And it smacks of a non-argument; just insulting and an attempt to turn the general discussion into a personal attack, simply because I have a different perspective.

If you want to petition, that is your perogative. However, I do believe you are merely wasting your time and tax payers money :dunno: This man will *not* be given parole - he is merely "entitled" to apply for it, under law. If you did your research, you would understand that the likelihood of him being granted parole is miniscule: hence, the petition is null and void in terms of effectiveness, but will still cost tax payers money to process it.

Equally, this petition is *not* about the principle of "child killing rapists" from being permitted parole hearings (that, I may well be tempted to sign!): this thread is about a singular, particular, individual; not the "principle" of "child killing rapists" per se. I'm anti personal bullying, on any level (yes, even for scum bags! Ganging up on a solitary person on nothing more than emotive propagander based on if's, but's, maybe's, media hype, does not constitute "justice").

Posters are jumping on the emotive bandwagon in "assuming" that, just because he has a right to request parole = he will be granted it; thus, signing a petition will prevent that. That is not so and is misleading.

By that same token, his right to request parole is this year, 2012. However, we are already 3/4's into 2012 ... who is to say the petition will have any effect (in the best case scenario) because the parole hearing may well have been heard at any time in the past 9 months? :dunno:

To me, it is all about perspective; and equally about principle (not just a one case scenario).

Ultimately though, my views are not based on any personal attack, or a need to belittle any other poster, via sarcasm, for presenting an alternative view.

I say once more: The article is dated March 2009. While he is entitled to "apply" for parole, it does not mean it will be granted. Resurrecting this issue is a media hype focused on one person. If the media were acting on principle, they may have a point! They do not; they are merely whipping up an emotive issue focused on one solitary case.

Still, at least it "sells" ;) and people are buying into it; so, job done.

• Like Like x 1
        • pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
          "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
          Ratings:
          +4,445
          Sorry "Mum" I have read your arguments and whilst I agree with your argument reference the bullying, he was found guilty and told he would die in prison.
          There should therefore be no question of parole.
          The article is dated March 2009,as you say but it is relevant now as the petition does not close until 6/11/12.
          Re cost, I am sure he is being continually assessed in prison by "experts" who are paid well, and same experts have been fooled in the past into believing "no longer a public danger",several well documented murders to prove that fact.

I have signed the petition .

Regarding the newspaper selling ,I am sure it boosted the sales of that particular "local" newspaper as the story reported was relevant to the readers.

• Like Like x 4
          • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            No need to apologise "pamsdish", you are as entitled to post your opinion as I am to mine.
            I know he was found guilty; I know he was told he would die in prison. However, in this country ...
            That is how it works. And I say again, just because he is "eligible" for parole, does not mean he will be granted it.

• pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
            "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
            Ratings:
            +4,445
            I really dislike "Americanisms" but as they have a younger legal system than us ,some things have been tweaked, not always an improvement, they do however have a term of imprisonment ,"Life imprisonment" and that is exactly what it is .

• catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
            Ratings:
            +2,250
            While the article was written in 2009, it was RUN again yesterday so it's relevant to this conversation. I must disagree with you about the bullying as well, as this individual is not directly involved in the discussion. It is merely a group of people stating their own personal opinions on the matter. If he were being sent emails that were threatening or degrading him to his face then yes it would be bullying. You CAN'T be bullied and NOT know about it.

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            In my opinion, creating a petition, signed by a number of people, aimed solely at one individual with the aim of influencing his rights is a form of bullying (and he will get to know about it, if he does not know already).

However, a petition designed to influence a change in the policies regarding life meaning life, and access to parole for offenders such as this, would probably garner more interest and support.

• HYDROGEN86

HYDROGEN86 Head Gardener

Ratings:
            +883
            Bullying :scratch: I could not care less if he got bumped of by a gang of thugs in his prison cell i really couldnt now there is a way to save some tax payers money :dancy:

• Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
            Ratings:
            +31,832
            Mum, I think we react, possibly over react, when we hear of Judges reducing sentences for serious crimes. To me, it feels some days as though our( the common man) opinions are unheard and that justice may be devalued. I know it costs more to keep scum behind bars that it does to keep me this side of them and it makes me angry. I would be willing to consider supporting the return of the death penalty but I don't think it will ever happen. In the meantime, I think that for killers of this magnitude, life should mean LIFE.
            Jenny

• Like Like x 1
            • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
              Ratings:
              +14,126
              [​IMG] This is a very emotive subject & we all have our own views on it, as we are entitled to do but please keep it clean...!!!!

I do however think we should try to keep this discussion on an even keel here.. After all, this thread is about this person & the petition against him.. The petition was after all started by the grief stricken family who obviously don't want him let out..

I am pulled both ways here.... As are most of us I think

What Mum is saying is also very correct that the way our laws are worded it applies to all criminals but for some it is just a formality with no parole..

I also agree with Mum's sentiments that this petition should be to stop all peadophiles being eligeable for Parole... This I feel would have more chance if it were to be a national petition backed by press an organisation for it to have the least little bit of an effect or to achieve anything major..!! After all getting laws changed is not an easy thing, but we have to remember human rights here whether we want to or not...

• Like Like x 2
              • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +31,885
                Thank you, MF, for seeing beyond the emotive aspects of this individual case and seeing where I was coming from. I do appreciate that.

• Like Like x 1
                • Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +2,686
                  Enough's enough, folks. This thread has run its course and is now closed. Don't want any of you getting warnings or stuff! ;)

adoptalock.gif

• Like Like x 2
                  Thread Status:
                  Not open for further replies.