1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing Clematis.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Doghouse Riley, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Ian Taylor

Ian Taylor Total Gardener

Maintenance Manager, Oddfellows on the Park.
    Ratings:
    +2,751
    Hi @Doghouse Riley, I would recommend growing Sieboldii in a pot, and bring in over winter, greenhouse, shed or garage.

DON'T allow the plant to get waterlogged while dormant.

Then in spring just chop off all the top growth to about 6 inches, then start to water and feed again in March or April when new growth appears.

I have tried growing outside over winter with no success, so I actually stopped growing Florida Sieboldii types, until my daughter in law said you never grow any large flower ones, so I picked a couple up from Tatton show a couple of years back, they were only small liners ones, didn't flower great last year hoping for a good display this year, they are putting on new growth so will be chopping back any time soon. Over the past 2 years I haven't lost a florida type doing this method over winter.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
      Ratings:
      +4,411
      Our clematis arrived from Taylors today in a nice sturdy carton.

P1010164.JPG

I'm quite pleased with these, all doing well. The two centre ones, Westerplatte and Starlight, were the two "cheapos" at a fiver each. I've removed the plastic and given them a drop of water. I'll keep then in the shed next to the window for a couple of weeks.

P1010165.JPG

"Suzy" from Taylors enclosed a compliments slip and a catalogue of their whole range.
      My wife looked through it earlier today, I've noticed some "ticks" against one or two, but she hasn't mentioned anything yet.

• Like Like x 1
      • Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
        Ratings:
        +4,411
        It didn't take long.

I've just had to order.

Koreana Amber
        index.jpg

Markam's Pink
        clematis_macropetala_markham_s_pink_.jpg

Piilu

RHS_WSYD0012567_8789.JPG

• Like Like x 1
        • Ian Taylor

Ian Taylor Total Gardener

Maintenance Manager, Oddfellows on the Park.
          Ratings:
          +2,751
          Korean Amber was plant of the show at Chelsea show in 2016, it's a really good plant, no pruning just leave it should flower for you this year nice early flowering.

Markam's Pink, is exactly the same no pruning, I had Markam's pink in a previous garden, never failed

• Informative Informative x 2
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
            Ratings:
            +4,411
            The last of our clematis arrived from Taylors today.

P1010177.JPG

It's too wet to plant them out yet. I might do it tomorrow as it's warming up now.

We bought three of these from T&M a few years ago.

P1050296.JPG

P1050295.JPG

Each year, they tend to die off earlier than expected with the dreaded clematis wilt. So I cut them right down but leave a bit of the dead stalk showing to remind me where they were.

I checked today and all's well with the three. Each is showing this sort of growth.

(The hosepipe protects the low voltage electrical supply to one of our Japanese lanterns).

P1010179.JPG

P1010178.JPG

It always pay to leave well alone when you might think something is dead.

• Like Like x 3