Clematis in pots

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by mowgley, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I have a "Josephine" in my front garden in a tall (30"), moderately narrow but conical (8" to 16") tin pot with a 2" layer of grit mulch on top. Seems to quite like it there!

2. mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,626
    The clematis i brought from a local supermarketin early March and re-potted them and now there 1.5 feet tall. There in the dining room window for now when should i be looking to plant them into pots?
    Thx Sean

3. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I took my new ones out of the greenhouse [frost free] a week ago and in spite of slight frosts in the morning they're all fine, so if possible I'd pot them up but shelter them overnight if it looks like frost, as yours will have been more cossetted inside than mine. Fleece should be sufficient. Don't forget to put pebbles or stones round the plants to protect the roots from hot sun later on. [Some hopes here].

4. mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,626
    thanks Liz i think i will pot them up next weekend and i had forgot about the pebbles :eek:
    Will try to upload some pics when they are in flower!

5. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I love clematis. What varieties have you got?
    I've got a pink, Mid-blue, and white spring flowering, Cirrhosa 'freckles', 2 Montanas [pink and white] and the new ones- Heracleifolia 'new love' , Aromatica, Armandii, Louise Rowe, and Chalcedony.
    [​IMG]
    I'll try to do pictures of mine, too!

6. mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,626
    Hi Liz

I have Elsa Spath, Polish spirit and a Ernest Markham and i have planted two in the garden last autumn they are Royality and Pink champange. Do you give them any special feed in spring or summer?

7. papajo

papajo Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    Has anyone had any success growing Clematis in oak barrels? I have had one planted for a year now. Last year I got nothing, died back in the winter and now it�s looking like it will bud. My other Clematis in the soil is growing well. I�m just not sure about the planter?

8. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Papajo, has it got holes in the base and crocks in to help drainage? That's the most common problem I've come across

9. papajo

papajo Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    Hi dendrobium, thanks for replying. Yes I have put drainage holes in the bottom. I have used pea gravel. Do you thaink that the gravel is big enough to help with the drainage?

10. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    In something the size of a barrel, I'd use bigger crocks. I use polystyrene stuff, like old plant-packs, broken up, as they seem to be strong enough, even with lots of sompost on top of them.

And don't forget to have the container on feet of some sort, so it's off the ground, otherwise the drainage holes can get clogged up. For heaver tubs and containers, I use some monon-blocks I have knocking around - it doesn't have to be official (and expensive) feet! Hope this helps! :D

11. papajo

papajo Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks, it all makes sense now. I do have the barrel on the ground. No point in making holes if the water has no where to go. This is going to make my husbands day when I ask him to move the barrel yet again :D

12. darlie chimmock

darlie chimmock Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    michaelmasdaisy. Ive got a josephine in a pot in my back garden on a north-east wall, thought it wouldnt like the cold but its got a dozen fat buds on it - bless.

13. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    I grow clematis in pots on a balcony these past for years they grow fine cant remember the name of my oldest one it is pale blue, just bought a clematis called rouge cardinal and ville de lyon category wall climber they are growing great bought them from morrisons
    from new member rosa

14. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Hi Rosa, welcome to the group. You seem to be doing really well with your balcony plants!
    I have some plants from Morrisons which have also done well!
    [​IMG]

15. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    thanks liz and for the warm welcome to the group as well as clematis doing well i have honeysucle, jasmine a grape vine all seem to be happy and growing well for being on a top floor quite an enclosed balcony but the wind can be a bit of a problem, i have lost a lot of plants in the past due to inexperience, small trees like conifer type and ivy are no good they die as my neighbour has just found out.
    I have other plants and climbers vines that are also doing well, its taken me 9 years to get it right up here.
    from rosa