Clematis in pots

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by mowgley, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Hope you will be able to take some photos soon, it's always great to see other peoples' gardens. Have you got a good view from up there? [​IMG]

2. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    got a great view, my neighbour comes out to see what else i have done to my balcony she said it looks great and even better when everything is in full bloom, maybe moving to wales do you know iff i will be able to cut all my climbers down so that i will be able to take them with me, not looking forward to starting all over again its taken years to establish

3. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Clematis, Jasmine and Honeysuckle can all be pruned hard. My jasmines aren't that old, the eldest is 4 years and it dies right back to the ground in hard winters, but still makes plenty of growth.
    When I moved I took more plants than furniture!

4. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    thanks that is great news i would hate to leave them, my jasmine grew like crazy last year i have got it all over my balcony it has gone everywhere round the balcony around my kitchen window and now it is coming back with a vengeance, i honestly dont know where it will end up this year as with being on a top floor it was difficult to cut back, i had to hang over my balcony and snip away at the dead growth, looks lovely when it flowers. rosa

5. papajo

papajo Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    My first sucess, this is the clematis planted in the oak barrel. I think it's called 'Crystal Fountain'

[​IMG]

[ 17. June 2006, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: papajo ]

6. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
  7. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    That is really nice papajo, is it a dwarf variety or are you keeping in small in the barrel?

8. papajo

papajo Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks, I think that it should grow to its full size, it's only about a year old. Just trying to experiment just now and get a feel for things and how they grow. Hadn't thought that it may be smaller because it's in a pot. Having said that it makes sense that it might do. One thing that I have learned is to have more patience so I�ll leave it for a few years and see how it does.

9. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Mine grew [so I thought] happily in pots for 4 years, flowered nicely and grew each year. However, when I finally planted them in the border this spring I found that even the one in the biggest pot was seriously pot bound, it's roots were wound round and round like a birds' nest. My biggest pot was about 18" across, so I hope your barrel is bigger. I'm sure it will be fine for now but don't forget it is reliant on you for food and water!