Club root

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Barndym, Aug 2, 2007.

1. kryssy

kryssy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Forgive me for butting in here but can I take up something you all said about Lupins. I moved some lupin plants earlier in the year to a new bed and noticed that a couple of them had little bulges on their roots. I thought nothing much of it and the plants have grown and flowered well this year. Would they be carrying the club root then?

I have been growing some veggies for the first time this year and have lost all my toms to the blight and my mangetout to something else - the leaves all went white and powdery. I know not to plant similar things where the toms were, but what about the mangetout? I've decided to grow some loganberries in their place - would that be ok?

Sorry, went off the subject a bit but it's all about the same thing in a way.....

2. Fonzie

Fonzie Gardener

Transportation
    Ratings:
    +15
    No, Lupins have nodes on there roots that contain bacteria that fix nitrogen in the soil.
    This action can increase nitrogen in the soil.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,089
    David is right, club root appears as just that, the roots become thickened almost like dhalia tubers.
    If there is no real root then its another problem.
    Cant think that lupins can carry club root, as I remember they have long fangy roots and dont move well.
    as for your mangetout Kryssy, I reckon that was powdery mildew, its not something that lingers as such, it appear when conditions are ideal for it, so chances are it wont appear next year.

4. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Wallflowers carry Clubroot, as indeed do any members of the Brassica family.

5. Barndym

Barndym Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks David

I think you are right, the problem I have is cabbage root fly, I have lost about 20% of plants to this but those left have grown away from it and indeed we have eaten a few

For next year any suggestions re this problem

Thank again

Rab

6. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Barndym. May be that's what you used Derris for, if, as geoff says, it's an insecticide. I can remember using it but I was obviously wrong re the reason. I used to put little cardboard collars round the Brassicas to stop the CRFly

7. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Yes I would go with the cardboard collars to put off the cabbage root fly. Don't bother buying them. Cut old cereal packets up into squares with a notch to put round the plant, but do make them at least 2 inches square. Mine were too small this year and the flies still got in. You will also need to protect radishes. I have to grow mine under fleece.
    Lupins do definitely not carry club root. Like all legumes (peas, beans, clovers etc) they have nodules on the roots that contain nitrogen. So don't pull the roots out when clearing them away. Those nodules will provide nutrients for the crops that follow - the brassicas that need nitrogen.

8. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Another thing that gets mistaken for club root is Turnip Gall Weevil. The symptoms are :- wilting of the plant, a blue tinge to the leaves and large galls on the roots. Turnip Gall Weevil does not kill the plant so, unlike clubroot, you can still get a crop. David.

9. kryssy

kryssy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the replies on lupins and mangetout. So much to learn - so little time.................