Cold Nights

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by David G, Apr 9, 2008.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    I'm sowing mine this weekend, but they are for outside growing.
    I think if the temp drops to 10C at night for short periods they will be OK, problems arise when it stays cold all day.

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    These have been out in the unheated GH for two weeks now. I had to put them out as I ran out of space in our porch.
    [​IMG]

This "Gardeners Delight" was one of two sown early December I planted it in the polytunnel about two weeks ago. The other plant which remains in our porch now had it's second truss of flowers.
    [​IMG]

3. David G

David G Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Mine have been out a couple of nights now and look ok. Just waiting for the first flowers to start to open and in the final planting place they go.

Gardeners Delight & Moneymaker this year, I did think about growing some Beefsteak or similar, I tried before outside without much success

Dave

4. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Well, this time last year we were sunbathing and bbq-ing in the back garden - haven't even ventured out without my thick coat this year!! As for the weather forecast, I can garantee my theory - If I hang out the washing it will rain, hail and blow a hooley. If I don't, it will be gloriously sunny!! - works every time!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Lets look on the bright side, last year we had a pretty good April and the summer never started.
    Maybe, just maybe (clutching at straws here), If we get a C r a p spring, we might get a decent summer. [​IMG]

6. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    summer is all set to be OK Pete. April is pretty normal. Cold, wet and morning frosts. So we should be OK this year. And that is my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

7. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    By no means a meteorologist, (spelling), but I reckon we had last summer from October to February.
    I know it sounds daft, but the weather patterns were summer like during that time, Azores high, etc.
    Had those High pressure systems, that we had during that period, occured during the summer months we would have had a really good one.

8. Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    Ooops, my toms have been quite happily growing away in my cold greenhouse along with my cucumber and peppers!

Avoid frost is the key?

9. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    When I saw this on the resume I thought - Che?

But you are from London and I'm sure it's a lot warmer than N. Yorks. I just hope you don't get a sudden hard frost, (And I mean that I am not being sarcastic.)

10. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    It's all very vexing, moving things in and out of the coldframes and shed, opening and shutting the greenhouse vents,covering and uncovering tender plants in the garden.

We had rain forecast for the weekend, but it's been lovely, well there were a few showers but it is April, after all. Spend all day in the garden today - sunny, no wind or rain - bliss!