compost bin and it's refusal to make compost...help please!

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Flora Poste, May 20, 2006.

1. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for detailed answer jazid! ;)

Paladin: Now I know why your neighbour put that fence up! :D

2. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    :D Yeah spoilsport..she don't know a good thing when she sees one :D

3. lazy-gardener

lazy-gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    I tried to pee in mine but I couldnt reach!!! (ha ha only joshing!) But a serious question now. I started off my plastic bin a couple of months ago. Put all kinds in but then when i extended the borders i ran out of places to put the turf so i banged a load in the bin. After a few weeks I had a look and there was white mould on the top so I gave it a good mix as much as i was able and left it. when i looked the weekend it was full of centipes, spiders and worms. Now i know worms are good to have in the bin but what about the creepy crawlies. I am not a lover of these and dont think for a thousand pounds i could willingly pick on up so didnt do much with it. Should i give it another stir or something do you think?

4. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Let it be lazy-g, invertebrates are always good in compost heaps. They will move on if they run out of fodder so no need to carry them to their next meal. PS truly sorry about your cat.

5. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Compost HAS to pass through the digestive system of the creepy crawlies. If you have no invertebates in your compost bins then only fungi and bacteria will work on decomposition and you will have a very long wait for your compost. That is why you can buy wormeries for fast track compost. Basically - the worms, woodlice and all sorts of min-beasts eat the plant remains and what comes out of their other ends is lovely compost.

6. sharon

sharon Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just butting in on the thread, does this mean I should welcome the hundreds of ants I found in mine yesterday.

7. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yup. Ants, worms, whatever turns ya compost. They will lodge a while, make a lovely crumbly mix and move on.

8. Flora Poste

Flora Poste Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks so much everybody - you have covered the subject more thoroughly than the no doubt aptly named banana man has covered his compost. I'm very grateful!
    x