1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Compost bin construction.

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by rustyroots, Dec 6, 2016.

1. rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,946
    Hi All,

Planning the design of new compost bin. I have searched internet and YouTube, but there are many different designs etc.

The question I have is;

Do I need to leave gaps in between the slats for air flow?

Some have, some haven't. I am going to make out of 3x3 fence posts with treated 1 inch slats screwed to rear and sides and the front will have removable slats.

Rusty

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,346
    @rustyroots
    I am currently building a new compost bin and have gone with the same materials and design that you mention. This is to replace an old pair of bins of similar design that have worked well for 10+years. I have always gone for no air gaps on the sides as I don't want the heap to dry out too much. I have not had major problems with the heap being too wet only too dry. I do keep it well covered with old compost bags.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,527