compost.

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by hammer, Jun 19, 2008.

1. T Digger

T Digger Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hammer, you can save a little money by using your own home made compost in the bottom of the pot. If you sift it first then put it in to about half way and then add the shop bought compost, the reason for having the home made compost at the bottom is so that if there are any viable seeds present they will not germinate if well covered. Old used compost can become acidic due to the build up of salts if you have been using liquid feed for example, I quite often put mine into the compost bin, though as the folks say, you can use it as a mulch.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I don't reuse mine for new plants, I want to give the new plants the best start, and to be using a sterilised potting compost.

I tip all mine into a left over compost plastic bag and use it to bulk up the bottom of any new tubs I buy, but other than that I chuck it on the compost heap. It gets mixed in with everything else, and returned to the garden to improve the soil.

But it does cost a lot :( I think I must have used 10 or 15 bags this year ...

... can anyone recommend where I can buy it in bulk - maybe a pallet load? - something to consider for next year.

Having said that [rambling on again, sorry ...] the J. Arthur Bowers General Purpose I've been using has been going slimy on the surface. This is for anything in, say, a 3" / 9cm pot which has taken a while to establish. Things that romp away seem to be OK, probably because they get repotted and drink more anyway.

Maybe I should use something with more soil, or maybe grit, for those plants. Although I had no idea, for a lot of the seeds I potted on, which were "fast" and which were "slow" growers.

I saw soemthing about "J.A.B with added John Innes" the other day. I've not seen that in the garden centre, but I did wonder if that would be a better bet. Anyone tried it?

3. T Digger

T Digger Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You can add your own John Innes Kristen, it helps sometimes because the John Innes is heavier and provides more support, you also have the choice of going for John Innes 3 for hungry plants number 2 for general tubs, containers etc. and number one for growing on smaller plants. Generally you can mix it about half and half with general purpose compost, maybe a bit less for hanging baskets because of the extra weight, as you say it is worth giving your plants a good chance of thriving.

4. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Talking about the cost of Multi Purpose Compost...how much do you pay for yours as a matter of interest?

Regarding JAB...I get 3 x 70 ltres for £10-00. Does anyone get it cheaper, as I don't think that is a lot to pay.:)

Although when I get these raised beds off the ground, if you will excuse the pun, I shall probably go on the internet or look locally for a couple of tons of the stuff.:thumb:

5. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    In Italy, were I was "better connected" I had the highest quality stuff for peanuts at the nursery for which I worked (mostly drawing garden projects). Now I have to pay euro over euro, sniff.
    Prices here range from 3-4 euro for a 70l pack to 11-12 euros ouch. I try to stay in the middle.

6. susannah

susannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I usually spread my old compost onto my veg patch too, and also dig it in and around any needy plants - if it does look as though it's past it's 'sell-by date' then I pop it into my compost bin! :)

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "I get 3 x 70 ltres for £10-00."

That's what I get from the local garden centre.

8. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi kristen

Seems to be a reasonable price to pay doesn't it. And pretty standard then, country wise.

9. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Yes, I'm happy at that price. But if I could get a pallet-load cheaper it would probably be worth it, I seem to get through quite a pile of them!