Composting bindweed

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Quaedor36, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    The forum software does happily send me [once-a-day] messages that there are responses to threads that I have already read though :(

2. completely green but keen

completely green but keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps a stupid question regarding Round-Up. I've used some to attack the worst of the dock leaves in our garden. Can the dead leaves and roots eventually be composted, or are they permanently 'chemically contaminated' ? Cheers, Dan

3. NewbieGreen

NewbieGreen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I would never put "weed killered" material in my compost.

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Good point by NewbieGreen - but as far as I know Roundup treated weeds are safe to compost, the active ingredient (glyphosate) will have been broken down by the composting process.

5. completely green but keen

completely green but keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    jwk/newbie - thanks. my natural instinct would have been to avoid it at all costs, but the instructions on the roundup stress that it is all organic active ingredients which will cause no long term damage to surrounding area - that led me to conclude that over time it would be a safe addition to a compost heap...

6. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Roundup works by preventing the plant photosynthesizing. It breaks down upon soil contact.

It does not poison the root system like say sodium clorate. Therefore no harm in composting sprayed weeds.

7. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    That's interesting P.G. So how does Round-up "kill down to the roots"? A weed with a decent taproot (Dandelions etc.) won't be killed by it. It'll just sulk for a little while and then send up more leaves. How does SBK work. That definitely kills in on one hit!

8. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Caj, Ive just done a google search and came up with this:

What is glyphosate?
    Glyphosate was first reported as a herbicide in 1971. Three related products are now manufactured under the name glyphosate: glyphosate-isopropylammonium and glyphosate-sesquisodium patented by Monsanto, and glyphosate-trimesium patented by ICI (now Zeneca). In pure chemical terms glyphosate is an organophosphate in that it contains carbon and phosphorous. However, it does not affect the nervous system in the same way as organophosphate insecticides, and is not a cholinesterase inhibitor.
    Glyphosate is a broad spectrum, non-selective systemic herbicide. It is effective in killing all plant types including grasses, perennials and woody plants. As a herbicide glyphosate works by being absorbed into the plant mainly though its leaves but also through soft stalk tissue. It is then transported throughout the plant where it acts on various enzyme systems inhibiting amino acid metabolism in what is known as the shikimic acid pathway. This pathway exists in higher plants and microorganisms but not in animals. Plants treated with glyphosate slowly die over a period of days or weeks, and because the chemical is transported throughout the plant, no part survives.

Usage
    Glyphosate is sold around the world and is formulated into dozens of products by many pesticide companies. Glyphosate product sales are currently worth approximately US$1,200 million annually and represent about 60% of global non-selective herbicides sales(2). The total world herbicide market was worth about US$14,285 million in 1995(3).
    In UK arable agriculture, glyphosate was the 12th most extensively used pesticide active ingredient; the 5th most extensively used herbicide by weight with 251 tonnes being used; and 38th most widely applied herbicide, being applied over 334,529 ha annually in 1994(4). In the US nearly 8,500 tonnes was being used on 5-8 million hectares annually in the years leading up to 1991(5).

9. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks P.G.:) Gonna have to go in to the Science sites to find out why Agent Orange is so effective against broad-leaved plants. I think it must take the poison down to the roots somehow. :) Off-line for a little while 'cause we're changing our ISP:)

10. Mikkel

Mikkel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Do as I do and bag it up with all other weeds and dispose of them at nearest Council Recycling Tip, end of story, so to speak.

11. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    My understanding is that Glyphosate has, on a scale of 1 to 10, has very low toxicity; however, it is mixed with Surfactants (detergent-like chemicals / wetting agents) to help it to stick, and these tend to be more toxic than the Glyphosate itself. The surfactants differ from brand to brand.

So might be worth considering if there is any issue with the surfactants, as well as the Glyphosate.

I agree that composting it is unlikely to b a problem, just thought it might be worth mentioning the surfactants. I'll get my coat now!

12. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    If you want to be organic then glyphosate is definitely out. There are now concerns that it might leave more residues than they first thought. I have used glyphosate in the past and it is very effective. Its effect on nettles is particularly impressive. Best used as a spray.
    However I would not use material in my compost heap as my heap is used on food plants and we have a strict policy of no chemicals on the food crops.
    With regard to bindweed it needs to be deprived of air and Oxygen for quite a while to be killed. i have heard that you could bag them in black bin bags, sesl, tuck them under a hedge and forget. Next year you should soon see if it is all dead and if so throw it on the compost. Certainly i am going to give it a go.
    As for council recycling their compost heaps are done using high temperatures that can kill most things. Also if your council collects food waste then the compost will be made in sealed containers which is more likely to kill anyhting stone dead. I think all local authority composting will be done that way soon - the contractors who are doing it are having to re eqip if they have not got the equipment.